Community Warrior Volunteer opportunities are available
Community Warriors Volunteer Center
Library 161, Media Services Area
Phone: 792-2194-Jasmine Petersen
AGING AND THE ELDERLY
• Clarkston Care Center -- Lead the Reminisce Activity to help the elderly with memory impairment. 5:30 pm – 6 pm, Tue – Sun No prep needed they have everything you need to spark a memory through music, reading, and photos.
Volunteers to spend one on one time with the elderly, by visiting, reading, writing letters and taking them for walks. Do this anytime of day.
• LifeCare of Lewiston – Volunteers to help with parties, games, bingo. Share your talents by performing for the residents. One on one can be done anytime.
• Orchards Rehabilitation & Care Center – You can serve one on one anytime of day!
Volunteers to help the elderly write letters, to do group activities, to lead a craft and to read to them.
• Linkage – “Enhancing Life for All Ages”. Training Provided.
• The Veterans Home – An opportunity to serve those who have served our country!
1. Adopt – A – Vet~~ organizations or individuals can remember them with cards or gifts
holidays and birthdays.
2. Pie Social/Cookies ~~ the second Monday of each month 7-8 pies are needed. Homemade or store bought. Homemade cookies for special events.
3. Help with outings~~ residents need help when going to meals, picnics, fishing or the fair.
4. Visit a Vet~~ Read them stories, write letters, go for walks or wheelchair rides, play Bingo or Pinochle.
• Guardian Angel Homes – Read to some of the blind residents or be a “Walking Buddy”.
ANIMALS TO TAKE CARE OF
• Lewis Clark Animal Shelter – Training Provided!! Love and pet cats. Walk dogs. Teach dog obedience. Clean cat cages and other duties in cat area. Groom a pet onsite.
• The Habitat Store – Would you like to get some retail experience?
General sales clerk to pricing, display, customer service and cleaning. Shipping and Receiving to do pickups, load and unload merchandise. Also, outgoing person to be their Volunteer Coordinator- about 5 hours per week. The store is open from 9 am to 5:30 pm. Hours variable.
• Community Action Food Bank - Needs: volunteers to work front counter 1-4 pm once a week. Volunteers needed to pick up daily donations from local stores, work in warehouse, and repackaging food items.
• Jack O’ Connor Center at Hell’s Gate State Park - This is a museum housing the books and specimens collected by writer, Jack O’Connor and his wife Elenor.
The Center needs a staff of 20-25 volunteers to work the counter and the store. 11 am – 3 pm Wed & Th, 9 am – 5 pm on Fri & Sat, and 1 pm – 4 pm Sun. With sufficient volunteers hours could be extended.
• Lewis Clark Early Childhood Education (Head Start) – Immediately!!! Type simple documents on Microsoft Word. Can do anytime, any day, M-F between 8 am – 5 pm.
• Lewis Clark Animal Shelter – Volunteer in the office and put your computer skills to work!! Clerical work such as typing, bulk mailing, data entry and answering phones. Training Provided.
• Lewiston Civic Theatre – Edit the bi-monthly newsletter.
• Red Cross – Office volunteers needed to type, data entry, copying, faxing, and answer phones.
• Disability Action Center – Immediately!! Do you like to interact with people? Volunteers to help in the office. Duties include; answering phones, greeting customers, computer skills, excel and word, and general office duties.
• Opportunities Unlimited – Immediate - A volunteer needed to do office filing.
BUSINESS WEB DESIGN, GRAPHICS & PRINT
• Jack O’ Connor Center at Hell’s Gate State Park – WEBSITE DESIGN: Use your creativity and skills in designing and updating their website. Keep an updated, interactive “newsletter” on the web.
• Lewis Clark Animal Shelter – “Wall of Fame”~~ Needed 2-3 volunteers with graphic design ability or talent to work as a team to design and create a wall to commemorate “Kennel Sponsors.”
• Jack O’ Connor Center at Hell’s Gate State Park – Design and paint the education room.
• Lewis Clark Animal Shelter – Marketing and People Skills Wanted!! We will match your talent with our needs. Try your hand at fundraising, Pet Walk-a-Thon; organize a cat show or a dog show, auctions, off site adoption days, raffles, artwork, and special events.
• Red Cross of Idaho – Immediately - March is National Red Cross Month!! Volunteers to help put on this community event. Teach Community about health, safety and disaster preparedness.
• Habitat for Humanity – Fundraising for their spring 2008 Blitz & Build.
• Habitat for Humanity – Blitz & Building! Women volunteers will work with skilled HFH builders.
• Interlink – Try out your handyman or woman skills!!! Build Wheelchair ramps, install grab bars/hand held shower, build entry steps, patch cracks in concrete driveway, hang pictures, shelving, and curtain rods.
• Interlink – Install new furnace – need installer license.
• Idaho Fish & Game – Construct Bluebird Boxes! Volunteers will make bird boxes to sell to local community members. Profits will benefit the Lewiston Wildlife Habitat Area.
• Parks and Recreation – Needed Immediately!! Chaperones for Saturday, February 9, Dance, 8:45 pm to 12:15 pm.
• Parks and Recreation – Valentine’s Dance Chaperones. Friday, February 14, from 8:45 pm to 12:15 pm.
DISABILITIES -- YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
• Opportunities Unlimited – Immediate - Give of yourself by helping some of the developmentally disabled youth with projects. Volunteer groups to deep clean and paint centers.
EDUCATE A CHILD: TUTOR OR MENTOR
• Lewis Clark Early Childhood Education (Head Start) – Immediately!! Classroom volunteers needed in Lewiston & Clarkston & surrounding areas M-Th. 3 hour shifts are the best for the children, due to demand they will accept 1 and 2 hour shifts. The hours are approximately 8 am to 4 pm and there is a class that is 7am to 6 pm all week.
• Whitman Elementary School – Helping children read at Whitman Elementary. Need 12 volunteers between 9-11:30 am and 12:30-3:30 pm., M-F. 2 Volunteers needed to help with intramurals, 11:45-12:40 M-F. Please help children succeed!
• Parkway Elementary School – Classroom mentors to help children with reading. Flexible schedule, anytime M-F between 8:30 am – 2:30 pm.
• YWCA – Tutor homeless children in the after school kids program.
• Lewiston, Clarkston & Lapwai Boys & Girls Club - Become a big brother or big sister!!
Lapwai after school program needs mentors to help with activities and homework. Have fun mentoring youth with activities in the Games Center, Gym, Teen Center, or Education Center. Also volunteers to make grilled cheese sandwiches – no clean up – 1 hour per month commitment.
• Jack O’ Connor Center at Hell’s Gate State Park – Develop Educational Materials; Use your creativity and skills in designing lesson plans, visual aids, and other teaching tools about wildlife and hunting, and updating their website. Keep an updated, interactive “newsletter” on the web.
•Jack O’ Connor Center at Hell’s Gate State Park – Create a Hands on Children’s Center; Use your talents to make a children’s learning center with hands on activities related to hunting and animals.
•Jack O’ Connor Center at Hell’s Gate State Park – Develop hunter training programs for children.
ENVIRONMENT AND OUTDOORS
•Jack O’ Connor Center at Hell’s Gate State Park – Landscaping for the wildlife and habitat,
build trails, and survey and help build a land navigation course.
• Interlink – Rake Leaves.
• Salvation Army – Volunteers needed to help in the soup kitchen and other areas.
• Lewis Clark Early Childhood Education (Head Start) – Urgent!!! Volunteers needed M-F to help in the Lewiston kitchen, hours 8 am – 3 pm & the Clarkston kitchen, hours 8:30 am – 3:30 pm. You may work in shifts of 1, 2, 3, 4 hour shifts if that fits your schedule.
• The Veterans Home -- Canteen~~ Hours are from 8:30 am – 4:00 pm. 4 hours shifts.
• Red Cross of Idaho – Immediate!! Help with Blood Drive on Valentines Day, February 14th. Do not need to give blood, just help.
• Red Cross of Idaho – Disaster Volunteers: provide timely response to disasters and assist victims, provide red cross services (food, clothing, shelter), participate in DAT meetings at least 4X per year, and
provide referrals to other services etc.
Guardian Angel Homes – Exercise with the Elderly!! Training provided to teach exercise classes to residents in the care center.
• YWCA – Immediate Crisis Line Help!!!
• Lewiston Civic Theatre – Be behind the scenes!! Help with the lighting, the sound board and stage managing.
• Opportunities Unlimited – Volunteer groups to deep clean and paint centers.
If any of these opportunities sound right for you, please contact Jasmine Petersen at email@example.com or by phone at 792-2194.