The meeting was called to order at
Present: Senators Caines, Coleman, Johnson, King, Munguia, Nicholes, Rodgers,
President Martinez, VP Wak Wak, Mr. Smith, Mr. Williams, Mr. Lytle, Senate Secretary Laura Wilson
Absent: Senator Nelson
Vice President of Student Affairs: Agenda item will be remain until bylaws are amended.
Mr. Williams: Welcome Back. Excited about
being back. *He introduced
Vice-President of Administrative Services Ron Smith. He also welcomed the students back. It is his second week on campus. Would like the students to
teach him the ropes. Feel free to
contact him at any time and let him know when these functions come up that he
needs to attend. *
Brandon Lytle: For those that don’t know he has been spending a lot of time restructuring and creating a handbook for the Clubs & Organizations. Hopefully it will be out relatively soon. A lot of new activities coming up and reorganizing some old activities so hopefully they are a little more fun for the student population. He is recruiting for the Student Programming Board since as of right now there are only three members. He stated that he looks forward to working with everyone and looks forward to a great year.
· President Martinez: Hope everyone is transitioning back to the new school year ok. Quote: Ted Williams: “Just keep going. Everybody gets better if they keep at it.” Kind of a good mentality for this organization. We have a lot of stuff on our plates. All of your efforts will be appreciated by President Martinez, by yourself, and by the students. Just keep going, just keep at it. *August 21 – Arnold Caines, Tom Rodgers, Mary Wak Wak, and President Martinez participated in the Alumni golf Tournament. Won last place. Money went to help support scholarships. *Tentative press release for last year’s Legacy Project was passed out. Will try to do a kick-off for it for donations on September 2. Will have KLEW and some radio organizations here, etc. The Senate should probably come out and be supportive. *Has been working on a Project Management Director proposal. It can be dubbed a different name. It can be adapted however you want or scrapped if you don’t like the idea at all. *Proposed Policies and Procedures for the Book Exchange The Project Management Director if created would be in charge of further implementing more policies and certain working relationships.. *Proposed Policies & Procedures for Santa’s Helpers. He requested that these proposals be read and any suggestions, changes down to grammar and punctuation be submitted back to him. *Has received Intent Statement for bylaws changes: from Senator Rodgers: Article IV 4.200 and Article II Section I 4.171 of the Bylaws. An original draft has been submitted to the Judicial Branch. They have three days to review it and get it back to us and then from there barring no Judicial changes or non-approval it will be twelve days before we can actually put it on our agenda for a vote so that would be the first part of September. *He met with Allen Schmoock today regarding IT Services. He wanted to pass on that he has had a fair number of students come to him for personal computer tech support. They are not allowed to do that for liability reasons. He talked about trying to get a position in ASB to try to deal with that. That thought is now in the Senate’s hands. *Received an email from Ernie regarding Emergency Light/Speaker System being tested on Friday morning. It is only a test so don’t be alarmed. *Computer proposals – 9 Dell computers to divvy up however we want. Has actually been given 4 or 5 brief and vague proposals that are on the books that he has dated and signed as received. Whatever kind of process you decide to use as far as distributing the computers we can work with Jerry Hindberg as far as finalizing getting the computers turned over to the different clubs and departments. President Martinez asked that he be kept in the loop.
· Vice-President Wak Wak: Welcomed everyone back for the new school year. We have a lot of things ahead of us. There may often be times when we don’t all agree, at the same we are all, overall working toward the same goal. She looks forward to working with everyone this year.
Committee Reports: No reports yet. Senator Rodgers: Still appointments to be made to committees. President Martinez: Need to get all of our committees going. Recommended that even though some committees are not scheduled to form until later in the semester the committee chairs may want to get together with members early and get started.
· Senate Bill 04-F001, Motion Senator Caines, Second Senator Munguia. Discussion: VP Wak Wak explained the increases in some of the accounts. Vote: Passed unanimously.
· Senate Bill 04-F002, Motion Senator Caines, Second Senator Johnson. Discussion: President Martinez reminded everyone that Bruce Twitchell was the photographer that came to the retreat and took pictures. Will not be here on Tuesday meetings during fall semester, however will be able to attend Thursday meetings. He is a former Editor of The Pathfinder. Vote: Passed.
Senate Information Reports:
Senator Rodgers – Reminder regarding changes he has proposed to the
bylaws. Should be copies in your
mailboxes or with you right now. We can
still change them but it must be a unanimous vote later to make an amendment to
those since they have already submitted for approval for approval to the Judical Branch *Has talked to a few of the Senators
about is at the Dine with Dene in October on October 13 is to get some of the
local candidates who are running for State Legislation positions in for maybe
an open forum or some kind of debate at that Dine with Dene. Senator Coleman and Senator Munguia volunteered to help. *Briefly discussed problems with CDA
campus. Proposed holding a meeting on
· Senator Johnson: Regarding open senate seats – How soon do we need to get them filled, by what process? Senator Rodgers – There are applications available in the office to be handed out to someone if they are interested. Applications were being handed out at the Welcome Fair on Monday. We need to get advertising out around campus. President Martinez has submitted a requested to Bruce Twitchell to do advertising but he needs a deadline.
Motion to adjourn Senator Caines, Second Senator Johnson. Motion carries. Meeting Adjourned
Respectfully Submitted by: Laura Wilson