The meeting was called to order at
Present: Senators Bybee, Caines, Johnson, King, Munguia, Nicholes, Racich, Rodgers,
President Martinez, VP Wak Wak, Mr. Williams, Mr. Lytle, Senate Secretary Amber Hanes-Miller
Mr. Williams: Seaboard training May 23. Also on Friday from there will be a conference call with the Seaboard reps in Sub 225 between the technical people. On the 24th of February reps from Renaissance insurance will be meeting on campus with some groups and will then convene to meet in a large group.
Brandon Lytle: IM basketball tonight in gym at .
· President Martinez: Reminder Jamie White will be here this Thursday. Student fee meeting Tuesday, Feb 22 at , get the word out. We spoke about compiling all of our bylaw changes that have been implemented to date and recommended it would be proper if it fell under Ways and Means’ direction, and put on disk. Committee agrees. Brought a letter to Senate attention from UI president asking for senate support on a campaign to pass a law requiring motorcyclists to wear helmets. He felt this was something that was not near and dear to our causes, and passed it on to the senate of they thought they might want to pursue something. Senator Rodgers pointed out that that specific bill had already been denied.
· Vice-President Wak Wak: nothing to report
Judicial Communications: Justice Oatman asked if perhaps the student government would want to help fund or sponsor the election costs. President Martinez recalled spending around $1,700 on last year’s election.
Committee Reports: Senator Munguia reported on a diversity committee meeting held on Thursday, they discussed the celebration of Cesar Chavez, they kicked some ideas around, nothing official yet. Senator Rodgers reported that the Ways and Means committee met on Friday, they made some amendments to the amendments and he will discuss the changes further when they move to old business. Reminder there will be a current legacy project meeting after the senate meeting. He also called for an ethics committee meeting and Friday at was decided upon. Vice President WakWak had called a graduation committee meeting for Thursday but the time is not going to work. Agreed to reschedule on Friday at
· Senate Bill 04-F017 motion to approve Senator Nicholes second Senator Johnson. 8 yes, 0 no, 0 abstentions. Bill passed. President Martinez commented that they’ve retracted 1.190 in which senator majority will be chair of the Santa’s Helpers committee, and that they withdraw the project management director on this and all the following bills. It will be a presidential appointee, rather.
· Senate Bill 05-S036 motion to approve Senator Johnson second Senator Nicholes 8 yes, 0 no, 0 abstentions. Bill passed
· Senate Bill 05-S037 motion to approve Senator Johnson second Senator Caines 8 yes, 0 no, 0 abstentions. Bill passed.
· Senate Resolution 05-S006 – motion by Senator Caines second by Senator Johnson to add bill to new business. Approved.
· Senate Bill 05-S042 – approve appointment of Matthew Smith to the position of Technical Senator. Motion to approve by Senator Johnson second Senator Racich. 8 yes, 0 no, 0 abstentions.
· Senate Bill 05-S043 – approve appointment of Gloria Ramirez to the position of Academic Senator. Motion to approve by Senator Munguia second Senator Nicholes. Motion to amend Senator Johnson second Senator Caines, bill to read “appointment” rather than “appoint,” amendment approved. 8 yes, 0 no, 0 abstentions. Bill passed.
· Senate Bill 05-S044 – $200 Haerling donation in the name of the ASLCSC. Motion to approve Senator Johnson second Senator Munguia. President Martinez noted that the bill should be changed to read “pass upon a simple majority vote, rather than a 2/3 vote” motion to approve amendment, Senator Caines second Senator Bybee. 8 yes, 0 no, 0 abstentions. Bill passed.
Senate Resolution 05-S006 – Student Health Insurance. Senators Caines and
Senate Information Reports:
· Vice President WakWak discussed a Student Affairs Committee meeting regarding admission standards. An idea of a “3 strikes your out” type rule was discussed. This would stipulate that a student that was suspended 3 times following academic probation would not be allowed to re-apply. The approval was mixed and a final answer was not given as the meeting ran out of time. VP WakWak thanked the group for their input and assured them that this potential policy was not in place and that is why they are discussing these types of issues.
· Senator Bybee conveyed that upon interviewing potential senators, they were informed of racial issues going on in the dorms. He thought that perhaps implementing some kind of program where senators would be liable for talking to an RA about different issues. Senator Ramirez felt that perhaps at the beginning of the year as part of initiation the residents should be made aware of different places they can go, for instance the Senate, to discuss their issues. Senator Munguia reflected Senator Munguia’s feelings of racial treatment in the dorms. Senator Rodgers asked that it be looked into further and Senator Bybee agreed to go over some options with residence life. Justice Oatman commented that whoever signs the RA’s paychecks needs to know what is going on.
· Senator Racich asked that everyone who has letters out bring them back as they need to get mailed out.
· Matt Smith and his wife, Corey Wicks, Jimmie O’Hara (Computer Club)
Jimmie came to speak about his concerns with the co-curricular fund and Clubs and Orgs, and their rigid standards for funding.
Motion to adjourn Senator Johnson second Senator Racich. Meeting Adjourned
Respectfully Submitted by: Amber Hanes-Miller