The meeting was called to order at
Present: Senators Bybee, Caines, Johnson, Munguia, Nicholes, Racich, Rodgers,
President Martinez, VP WakWak, Dr. Smith, Mr. Williams, Mr. Lytle, Senate Secretary Amber Hanes-Miller
Minutes: Motion by senator
Johnson second by Senator Caines to un-table
Mr. Williams: The annual community health fair will be held March 2 in the WCC, in the past it has been a 3 day event, however this year it will be held on one day from the hours of 10a-7p.
it has come to his attention that some of you have received letters from the
Brandon Lytle: Recap of last week, rock climbing Friday, Chiefs game on Saturday. Activity center has open gym tonight at , intramural volleyball captains meeting tomorrow at , roller skating Wednesday night at at rollaway, also on Wednesday there is a comedy show downstairs.
· President Martinez: Announced that Tate Smith will be coming in on Thursday to discuss Radio Club. March 2 has been confirmed for Dine with Dene.
Jamie White is scheduled to come Thursday the 17th of February at , he asked what we would like to see
when he comes and Amber reported that she told him the blueprints to show us who’s where and which office is
Reported SBOE meetings on March 10th
and 11th at BSU and fee discussions in April at
for those who had interest to let him know.
Requested that senate bill # 04-F017 regarding santa’s helpers, 05-F036 concerning the book exchange, and
senate bill #05-F037 regarding the Legacy Project, and #05-F038, be passed to the Ways and Means committee
· Vice-President Wak Wak: Nothing to report.
Senator Munguia reported that there will be a diversity committee meeting Thursday from 6p-7p.
Senator Caines reported that the Ways and Means committee has formally taken issues and is taking each and making suggested revisions and will be meeting Friday at to review and submit them for committee approval. Clubs and Orgs is meeting Friday at in SUB 143. The e-mail address for the Clubs and Orgs council is up and running.
Senator Rodgers reported there will be a co-curricular meeting next Wednesday the 16th at in SUB 143.
President Martinez commented on Clubs and Orgs, he does not know where the authority came from but in his e-mail from the Ambassadors Honor Society in the meeting minutes it was stated that no mandatory representation was needed at the clubs and orgs council at this time and he inquired as to what everyone thought about that, as he understands that Brandon had input it as being mandatory. Senator Caines commented that as far as the mandatory attendance goes, he is trying to encourage attendance as much as possible or at least contact him. He has been taking attendance at meetings but not enforcing anything mandatory until such time that is officially set, he is giving the Clubs and Orgs the chance to establish it for themselves so they own their policy. Brandon Lytle asked to go on record that he has detached himself from Clubs and Orgs until the policy is in place. It is his understanding that ASLCSC had gone to President Thomas to ask that ASLCSC oversee Clubs and Orgs. Senator Rodgers noted that he thought this was something that Justin had done last semester. Vice President Wak Wak questioned the discussion and the involvement of Justin and the topics that had not previously been discussed. Senator Caines apologized and explained that he was with Justin and they were seeking to find out what administrations position was and “Justin had a problem with an administrator calling the shots for Clubs and Orgs.”
· Senate Bill 04-F017, 05-F026, 05-F037 moved to Ways and Means Committee.
· Senate Bill 05-F040 to approve the expenditure of $275 from general account to pay for CDA Executive Standing Committee Chairwoman to attend the National Association of Social Workers Legislative Advocacy Day. Motion to approve Senator Racich second Senator Bybee. Discussoin. 7 yes, 0 no, no abstentions, bill passed.
· Senate Bill 05-F041 to approve up to $700 for the Legislative letter writing campaign which will come from the Media Relations account. Motion to approve Senator Caines second Senator Johnson. Discussion. 7 yes, 0 no, no abstentions, bill passed.
Senate Information Reports:
· President Martinez inquired as to whether a lunch had been planned for CDA Executive Standing Committee which is scheduled for March 8th visit.
· Senator Munguia announced that she has a sign-up sheet for helping at the International Dinner.
· Senator Nicholes reported the hole in front of Talkington Hall had been filled thanks to quick response from Dr. Smith.
· Senator Bybee thanked Senator Nicholes for getting the get well card around for Mike Vernon.
Senator Munguia reported that we had also
received a thank you from the student who is going to
· President Martinez followed up to the Tuesday budget report that the $40 surplus in Santa’s Helpers account was a donation from Lancer Lanes and that he still did not have book exchange total.
· Senate position interviewees, Matt Smith
· Matt Smith inquired as to how the lawsuit panel discussion went, President Martinez gave positive feedback.
Motion to adjourn Senator Nicholes second Senator Johnson. Meeting Adjourned
Respectfully Submitted by: Amber Hanes-Miller