The meeting was called to order at
Present: Senators Bybee, Caines, Coleman, Johnson, King, Munguia, Nicholes, Racich, Rodgers,
President Martinez, VP Wak Wak, Associate Justices Oatman and
Mr. Williams, Senate Secretary Laura Wilson
Absent: Senator Bahlman, Brandon Lytle
Mr. Williams: Discussed that staff has been busy presenting Unit Action Plans to committees. They have were asked to prepare plans for a 0% increase and for the first time a 3% increase. A lot of us are involved in that process. Whitney is very involved in that process so we haven’t received any more word on the card swipe. Once this budget cycle is finished we will probably get more information and will probably be meeting. We will probably want a representative from this group on the committee. Senator Coleman has done it in the past.
Mr. Smith: State Board of Education has decided to set Student Fees in April. We will continue with the Fee Hearing on November 17th.. We need to have the hearing according to State Board rule. This will give us plenty of time to talk about it..
· President Martinez: *Reminder that Dine with Dene is tomorrow (Wednesday) at in ADM 203. The 1st 70 will receive free Indian Tacos. *Polly Blasko sent a thank you from the LCSC Foundation for the $500.00 donation to the David “Doc” Sears Legacy Project.
Clubs & Organizations Council:
Senator Caines reported. Clubs
& Orgs met on Friday. The big thing
that came out of the meeting was, out of the twenty or so clubs represented, there
was very broad support for mandatory
meetings and so in his desire to give the clubs some say in the policies set
down he is going to encourage all individuals involved in that direction. The feeling is that many of the clubs that
are “just taking up space” will either move along or move out. .Senator Bybee asked if in the third phase of
· Book Exchange: Senator Bybee reported. Met last Friday. The bookstore does not have a complete list of books that need to be ordered at this time. They will have a more complete list closer to the end of the month or the first part of December. Currently working on a letter to put in all professors mailboxes to announce the Book Exchange to their classes because we can’t do a campus-wide email to them asking them to do an announcement.
· Santa’s Helpers: Senator Rodgers reported. The committee met last Wednesday. Senator Rodgers managed to get the letter finalized and sent out to business to request donations for Santa’s Helpers. The next meeting is Wednesday is at .
· Pam Laird – Asked Senator Bybee regarding Book Exchange and all the commotion at the beginning of the semester regarding the professors getting their book lists turned in early and now the book store is saying that they won’t even have a complete book list until next semester. Senator Bybee stated that he was unaware of what went on at the beginning of the semester, but when he went to talk to Levi at the bookstore, they set a deadline, but some of the teaches have not turned in their requests yet and that they will get some even after the next semester starts and so for us to get it now it would be a very incomplete list. The closer we can wait to when we start collecting books, the more complete it will be. Pam asked Mr. Smith to check into why professors have not turned in their book requests by the deadlines.
· Clubs & Organizations: VP Wak Wak stated the meeting on Friday was a long drawn out meeting. A lot of it centered around the failure or just the lack of commitment on behalf of the Senate adopting the new Clubs & Orgs Policies that were submitted by the Student Activities Coordinator. Right now there is just not a lot of forward movement on yes you do want the policies adopted and implemented or not. And that is where a lot of the problems that came forth. Because there are some members of this group that felt that Clubs & Orgs. would not look happily upon being told that they have to go to meetings. Then who’s going to enforce whether they do or don’t go to meetings. Overall the changes do need to be made to the ASLCSC Bylaws as far as Clubs & Orgs. are concerned because right now for the sake of continuity it really needs to be done. One of changes is that the meetings are mandatory and like Senator Caines stated a majority of the Clubs are not against that. VP Wak Wak wanted some feedback from the Senate as far as power and authority, she asked if the Senate was hung up on the whole recognition process and having the power to say “poof” you are a club or not or is it more along the allocation of the funds. From reading the Constitution and Bylaws that is where she sees the only clear line is that ASLCSC allocates the funds. The whole process of ASLCSC recognizing, that is in paper only. Right now, the secretary does it. Last Tuesday she was asked if all the clubs that submitted a grant proposal have an active club card. Her answer was that she assumed that she assumed that the Secretary forwarded them on because they were active clubs. VP Wak Wak stated that there are a lot of day to day Clubs & Orgs. activities that she doesn’t feel that the Senate wants to “go there on.” She thinks that this is something that the Ways & Means Committee needs to get back together on and work over. It is currently distracted from the form of a Clubs & Orgs. Council. One girl got us back on track by showing us a piece of paper – look this is the fundraiser that our club is doing. And that is what we saw the Clubs & Orgs. Council doing is being a forum to be able to do that. It has also been a great benefit in the fact, the policy did not just get pushed right through. Ways & Means need to get together and start to reformulate our bylaws. They (Clubs & Orgs.) want a revision of the policies adopted and they want to be able to conduct their business knowing who they talk to for this and who they talk to for that. Matt Smith commented that he had been at the last two Clubs & Orgs meetings and this is definitely a big issue. He brought up maybe just having a policy Clubs & Orgs. meeting to hash it out because it is taking up the main reason Clubs & Orgs. Council was set up. Matt’s feeling is that there are a few clubs that don’t agree with the mandatory meetings. But those representatives aren’t actually coming to the meetings. But if a policy meeting was actually put out there they might actually show up. He thinks there are some good policies. He has heard some good policies. Discussion ensued about having a policy meeting. Possibly December 10th. President Martinez asked Senator Coleman why the Clubs & Orgs. Bylaws changes had to come from the Ways & Means Committee? Senator Coleman responded that it had been sent to the Ways & Means Committee a while back. Senator Rodgers stated that it could be pulled out of committee if necessary.
· Senate Bill 04-F025, Motion to approve Senator Johnson, Second Senator Caines/Racich. Discussion ensued.
Vote: 9 yess, 0 no, 0 abstentions. Bill passed.
Senate Information Reports:
A. Senate Meeting in CDA: Next Tuesday, November 16 plan to leave here
at When we arrive in CDA plan to have a quick
lunch. The CDA Executive Standing
Committee’s regular meeting is scheduled at at the
B. Registration: Senator Rodgers discussed the problems he and other students had been having pre-registering
for classes this semester. Internet problems, not accepting password, Warrior Web problems, etc.
Northwest Student Leadership Conference (NWSLC): Senator Rodgers discussed the conference in
· Senator Rodgers: Bylaws changes for CDA ESC – Judicial Branch was not able to get the changes to start ruling on them until Monday. We may not be able to vote on them on Tuesday.
· VP Wak Wak: asked everyone to wear their ASLCSC shirts for a group picture to be taken after the Roundtable meeting on November 18th.
Motion to adjourn Senator Johnson, Second Senator Munguia. Meeting Adjourned
Respectfully Submitted by: Laura Wilson