The meeting was called to order at
Present: Senators Bahlman, Bybee, Caines, Coleman, Johnson, King, Munguia, Nicholes, Racich, Rodgers,
President Martinez, VP Wak Wak, Associate
Mr. Lytle, Senate Secretary Laura Wilson
Audience: Pam Laird, Whitedove
Brandon Lytle: Announced the activities happening this week.
Ron Smith: Reminded everyone that the State Board of Education meeting will be held here at LCSC on Thursday.
· President Martinez: *Reported that although there weren’t as many people at the Legacy Project Silent Auction and Dinner on Saturday as expected, overall the event went well raising over $2,300.00. *The Book Exchange Committee will be meeting on Friday, October 22 at *There may be a meeting this week regarding the Commuter Board. *Santa’s Helpers Judicial Ruling: President Martinez did not agree with the Judicial Ruling regarding Senate Bill 04-F017. President Martinez began by pointing out the errors in the ruling such as the incorrect bill number and bylaws/constitution number referencing. He also pointed out that the Senate Majority Leader would remain a member of the Santa’s Helpers Committee as well as free up time to focus on policy and legislative matters; therefore, the Judicial concerns regarding stipend amounts should not be an issue. He stated that reorganization is not uncommon or unconstitutional. He asked what exactly the grounds for the bill being constitutionally invalid. Further discussion ensued. Associate Justice Oatman suggested that the Judicial Branch make a ruling strictly on whether or not Bill 04-F017 is constitutional.
Ernie Williams: *Reported that Student Health will not be receiving flu vaccines this year. Three-hundred plus doses went to nursing homes in the valley. *As far as the card-swipe system Whitney Pugh has been out and he has not received any further updates.
· Senator Rodgers: Recent committee appointments – Senator Bybee has been appointed to Book Exchange, Boathouse, Graduation, and Student Technology.
Faculty Senate: Senator Nicholes
reported. *October 25-26 is when the
Accreditation team will be here for the 5 year accreditation review. They are coming back to make sure things have
been corrected since their last visit.
*Faculty Senate is looking into classroom usage for next year with the
Annex being torn down. They are looking
at classrooms that are only used one day per week, new classrooms that will be
· Senator Rodgers: Open committee seats on: Santa’s Helpers, Graduation, Web Committee/Housing Board, Boathouse/Outdoor Rec., Book Exchange, Institutional Development, Student Technology, Faculty Senate, Curriculum, and Administrative Procedures.
· Co-Curricular: Senator Rodgers reported. Meeting Tuesday, October 26 at in SUB 225. The committee has approximately $15,000 to distribute.
· Senate Bill 04-F018, Motion to approve Senator Caines, Second Senator Munguia. Discussion: President Martinez stated that he would like to finalize the beginning of our relationship on a positive note with the CDA students. Met with them Thursday before Roundtable and made some improvement. Before you now is this appointment and President Martinez asked for the Senate’s confirmation. Vote: 9 yes, 0 No, 1 abstention. Bill passed.
· Senate Bill 04-F019, Motion to approve Senator Johnson, Second Senator Bahlman, Vote: 10 Yes. Pass.
· Senator Resolution 04-F004, Motion to approve Senator Johnson, Second Senator Nicholes. Discussion ensued. Vote: 10 yes. Pass unanimously.
Senate Information Reports:
· Senator Rodgers: *Senate Meeting in CDA on November 16 – We had talked earlier about having a Senate meeting at CDA and about trying to do it during LCSC Day and that fell apart. What we have discussed is this is a day that they have their normal meeting on this day, November 16th. It would be at . If we could make it we could have the meeting at and then do a quick tour of the campus and then come back. We would need to unanimously pass a bill stating that we were changing the Senate meeting to this date and time. We need to have this done by November 2nd so that it could be in The Pathfinder the next week because it has to be printed four days in advance in some public form on campus. A quorum will be needed to have a meeting in CDA. Discussion ensued regarding who would be able to attend. Senator Rodgers asked Senators to keep it in mind and be prepared to vote on it on November 2nd. *NWSLC – confirmed who was going and when the last day was to register.
· Pam Laird – Was approached by the students from CDA when they were down here on Thursday to assist in bringing CDA campus into focus in The Pathfinder.
· President Martinez: Thanked Ernie Williams for attending the Legacy Project Silent Auction/Dinner on Saturday and making purchases. He also thanked Pam and Whitedove and everyone who helped out.
· Senator Coleman: Thanked President Martinez for all of his work on the 2003-2004 Legacy Project.
Ernie Williams: Reminded
everyone Saturday morning at
Motion to adjourn Senator Johnson, Second Racich. Meeting Adjourned
Respectfully Submitted by: Laura Wilson