Eastern edges Warrior tennis team 4-3
LEWISTON, Idaho – Eastern Washington narrowly defeated the Lewis-Clark State College men’s tennis team at the LCSC Tennis Center on Friday afternoon. The Warriors fell to the NCAA Division I Eagles by a final score of 4-3.
LCSC, now 4-2 overall, got things started on the right foot by taking two of the three doubles matches. Benjamin Robert and Ivan Krijanto teamed up to win the No. 1 match 8-5, and Anders Tischer and Sam Tozer won 8-4 at No. 2.
All of the singles matches were competitive, but unfortunately for the Warriors most of the close sets were won by Eastern.
Cesar Uauy and Lincoln Gay earned LCSC’s two singles victories. Uauy won 6-3, 6-2 at No. 4; and Gay took the No. 6 match in three sets 3-6, 7-6, 6-2.
Tischer and Krijanto came close to pulling out singles victories, and a win from either of them would have given the match to LCSC. Playing at No. 1, Tischer fell 7-5, 6-2; while Krijanto dropped the No. 2 contest 7-6, 6-3.
The Warriors will host the University of Idaho at 3 p.m. on Saturday.
Eastern Washington 4, LCSC 3
- Benjamin Robert-Ivan Krijanto (LCSC) def. Ilija Cuic-Kyle Koetje 8-5
- Anders Tischer-Sam Tozer (LCSC) def. James Russell-Mario Navarro 8-4
- Chad Henninger-Julian Sanchez (EWU) def. Cesar Uauy-Alberto Sanz 8-6
- Ilija Cuic (EWU) def. Anders Tischer 7-5 6-2
- James Russell (EWU) def. Ivan Krijanto 7-6 6-3
- Mario Navarro (EWU) def. Sam Tozer 6-3 6-4
- Cesar Uauy (LCSC) def. Chad Henninger 6-3 6-2
- Julian Sanchez (EWU) def. Benjamin Robert 6-2 4-6 6-2
- Lincoln Gay (LCSC) def. Stefan Ssimikic 3-6 7-6 6-2
Order of Finish: Doubles 2,3,1 Singles 3, 4, 1, 2, 6, 5