Warriors fall to No. 3 Oklahoma Christian in title match
OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. – Third-ranked Oklahoma Christian University was too much for the No. 24-ranked Lewis-Clark State College men’s tennis team to handle in the championship match of the NAIA Men’s National Qualifying Tournament on Friday afternoon. The Warriors were bested by the NAIA powerhouse 9-0.
With the victory, Oklahoma Christian claims an automatic berth to the NAIA National Tournament which will be held in Moble, Ala., on May 15-19. The Warriors will now wait and see if their strong showing during the tournament will improve their ranking and perhaps put them in a position to receive an at-large berth. The next poll will be release on Monday.
Although they ended up being swept, the Warriors put up a fight during both the doubles and singles matches on what was a very windy day at the Oklahoma City Tennis Center.
Cesar Uauy and Benjamin Robert came the closest to claiming a doubles win as they fell 8-4 in the No. 1 match.
In singles, both Sam Tozer and Lincoln Gay kept their Oklahoma Christian opponents from getting too far out in front. Tozer was defeated 6-3, 6-2 at No. 2; and Gay was outpaced at No. 4 by a final score of 6-2, 6-3.
Oklahoma Christian 9, Lewis-Clark State 0
1. Martin Poboril-Bruno Tiberti (OCU) def. Cesar Uauy-Benjamin Robert 8-4
2. Pier Pieracgani-Auruccio (OCU) def. Tyler Oram-Ivan Krijanto 8-2
3. Renardy Guelfi-Jamie Sanchez Canamares (OCU) def. Lincoln Gay-Sam Tozer 8-3
1. Martin Poboril (OCU) def. Ivan Krijanto 6-2, 6-1
2. Bruno Tiberti (OCU) def. Sam Tozer 6-3, 6-2
3. Jamie Sanchez-Canamares (OCU) def. Benjamin Robert 6-0, 6-1
4. Pier Pieracgani (OCU) def. Lincoln Gay 6-2, 6-3
5. Julio Polido (OCU) def. Alberto Sanz 6-1, 6-1
6. Renardy Guelfi (OCU) def. Jeff Lowndes 6-0, 6-0