KENNEWICK, Wash. – The Lewis-Clark State College men’s tennis team opened its 2013 season against a very strong opponent in Gonzaga University on Saturday afternoon at the Tri-City Court Club. The NAIA Warriors fell to the NCAA Division I Bulldogs 6-1.
“We faced a very skilled Gonzaga team,” said LCSC head coach Kai Fong who is now in his 25th year at the helm. “They handled our consistent play and came away with the wins.”
Lewis-Clark State, which was ranked No. 19 in last year’s postseason poll, put up a fight in both doubles and singles, but only senior Lincoln Gay was able to close out a victory.
Gay (pictured above), a product of The Dalles, Ore., defeated Vlladimir Mijatovic 6-4, 7-6 at No. 3.
Gonzaga (3-1) edged the Warriors at No. 1 doubles 8-7, and picked up two very narrow victories in singles. At No. 5, LCSC’s Alberto Sanz fell to Pablo Mosquera in three sets 3-6, 6-4, 10-6. And Jeff Lowndes was topped by Gonzaga’s Jack Schoebel 7-6, 6-4 at No. 6.
“Our players showed a good amount of resiliency for this early in the season,” Fong said. “That's always an encouraging sign.”
The Warriors will return to action on Feb. 2 when they host Whitworth University at the LCSC Tennis Center.
Gonzaga 6, LCSC 1
1. Alvaro Nazal (GU) def. Anders Tischer (LCSC) 6-1, 6-0
2. Olivier Jamin (GU) def. Sam Tozer (LCSC) 4-1 injury retirement
3. Lincoln Gay (LCSC) def. Vladimir Mijatovic (GU) 6-4, 7-6
4. Vicente Varas (GU) def. Quentin Wacquez (LCSC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Pablo Mosquera (GU) def. Alberto Sanz (LCSC) 3-6, 6-4, 10-6
6. Jack Schoebel (GU) def. Jeff Lowndes (LCSC) 7-6, 6-4
1. Joey Brandt-Olivier Jamin (GU) def. Anders Tischer-Jeff Lowndes (LCSC) 8-7
2. Vicente Varas-H. Smith (GU) def. Lincoln Gay-Haseeb Khan (LCSC) 8-3
3. Pablo Mosquera-Alvaro Nazal (GU) def. Sam Tozer-Quentin Wacquez (LCSC) 8-5