LEWISTON, Idaho – After dropping all three doubles matches against visiting NCAA Division I foe Portland State on Friday, the No. 12 Lewis-Clark State College men’s tennis team rallied to win three of the six singles contests in a 6-3 defeat at the LCSC Tennis Center.
With the Vikings leading 5-3, LCSC senior Jeff Lowndes and Zach Lubek locked horns in a three-set battle that epitomized the Warriors’ comeback spirit during the afternoon.
Lubek took the first set 7-5, but Lowndes rallied to tie the match with a 6-2 victory in the second set.
The climactic third set was a back-and-forth affair that took it all out of both players, but Lubek made more shots down the stretch to emerge with the 7-5 victory and the match.
“Jeff executed his strategy very well, but to his credit (Lubek) came up with answers,” Lewis-Clark State coach Kai Fong said. “Under those kinds of conditions, in that situation, for Jeff to play the way he did was a successful thing for us.”
Lincoln Gay, Quentin Wacquez and Alberto Sanz came up with victories at Nos. 3, 4 and 5 singles, respectively for the Warriors, who fall to 7-5 on the season.
Fong was encouraged with the way the Warriors battled, and said Friday’s match will serve them well down the road.
“We’re trying to build a culture of intensity and tenacity with this team,” he said. “It’s a work in progress, but the way we competed today from being down was great. I’m very pleased. We needed this for the identity we’re trying to build.”
Portland State 6, Lewis-Clark State 3
April 12, 2013
LCSC Tennis Center
1. Antoine Bechmann, PSU d. Anders Tischer, LC, 5-1 (ret.).
2. Connor Gilmore, PSU d. Sam Tozer, LC, 6-2, 6-1.
3. Lincoln Gay, LC def. Brent Wheeler, PSU, 3-6, 6-0, 6-4.
4. Quentin Wacquez, LC def. Wil Cochrane, PSU, 6-4, 7-6 (2).
5. Alberto Sanz, LC def. Lukas Cortas, PSU, 6-2, 6-3.
6. Zach Lubek, PSU def. Jeff Lowndes, LC, 7-5, 2-6, 7-5.
1. Connor Gilmore-Brent Wheeler, PSU def. Anders Tischer-Jeff Lowndes, LC, 8-5.
2. Antoine Bechmann-Ian Risenhoover, PSU def. Lincoln Gay-Andres Bustani, LC, 8-5.
3. Abhinay Mishra-Alec Marx def. Quentin Wacquez-Sam Tozer, LC, 8-6.