TULSA, Okla. – Both Lewis-Clark State College tennis teams cruised to wins in the semifinals at the NAIA National Qualifying Tournaments held at the Michael Case Tennis Center on Friday. The No. 7 Warrior women defeated Our Lady of the Lake (Texas) 5-0, and the No. 12 men beat University of the Southwest (N.M.) 5-0.
The wins push both teams, which had received first-round byes, into the championships. The title matches will start at 7 a.m., PDT, and both will be against Oklahoma Baptist. The Bison are ranked No. 10 on the women’s side, and No. 16 on the men’s.
Friday’s matches were scheduled to be played outside but inclement weather forced them to be moved to the indoor facility at the University of Tulsa. Because of this change in the schedule and venue each match was ended as soon as one team secured five points.
The Warriors took control early as each squad swept doubles play to secure three points right from the start.
In singles, Dorothy Chong (No. 1) and Livia Blasque (No. 2) picked up 6-1, 6-0 wins to clinch the win for the LCSC women. On the men’s side, Sam Tozer won 6-2, 7-5 at No. 2, and Lincoln Gay won 6-1, 6-1 at No. 3 to seal the deal.
The tournament is one of four of the NAIA’s unaffiliated group regionals, and it includes teams from the Frontier, Midlands, Red River, and Sooner Athletic conferences. The winners on Saturday will receive an automatic berth to nationals, held May 14-16 in Mobile, Ala.
Lewis-Clark State 5, Our Lady of the Lake 0
1. Bryn Oliveira/Rye Hewett (LCSC) def. Jessica Perez/Lauren Zancketti 8-0
2. Deanri Human/Florencia Martina (LCSC) def. Valeria Gonzalez/Leslie Cooper 8-1
3. Kaytlin Nelson/Netti Dayhuff (LCSC) def. Alexia Guarneros/Summer Almanza 8-1
1. Dorothy Chong (LCSC ) def. Jessica Perez 6-1, 6-0
2. Livia Blasque (LCSC) def. Leslie Cooper 6-1, 6-0
3. Bryn Oliveira (LCSC) vs. Lauren Zancketti DNF
4. Rye Hewett (LCSC) vs. Valeria Gonzalez DNF
5. Deanri Human (LCSC) vs. Alexia Guarneros DNF
6. Florencia Martina (LCSC ) vs. Summer Almanza DNF
Lewis-Clark State 5, Southwest 0
1. Anders Tischer/Jeff Lowndes (LCSC) def. Marek Ondruj/Felix Singer 8-4
2. Haseeb Khan/Lincoln Gay (LCSC) def. Alfred Mohan/Thomas Mazera 8-5
3. Quentin Wacquez/Sam Tozer (LCSC) def. Max Sladkovsky/Denis Sladkovsky 8-1
1. Anders Tischer (LCSC) vs. Marek Ondruj 5-7, 4-3 DNF
2. Sam Tozer (LCSC) def. Felix Singer 6-2, 7-5
3. Lincoln Gay (LCSC) def. Alfred Mohan 6-1, 6-1
4. Quentin Wacquez (LCSC) vs. Thomas Mazera 3-6 DNF
5. Alberto Sanz (LCSC) vs. Alex Sandoval DNF
6. Jeff Lowndes (LCSC) vs. Santiago Quintero DNF