MOBILE, Ala. – The No. 7-ranked Lewis-Clark State College women’s tennis team saw its fine 2013 season come to an abrupt end in the second round of the NAIA National Championship on Wednesday. The Warriors were upended by Northwood University (Fla.) 5-3.
The loss ends a strong campaign for the Warriors during which they went 11-10, despite a schedule including many NCAA Division I schools, and powered their way through the national qualifying tournament in Tulsa, Okla., last month.
LCSC, which was seeded seventh in the 24-team national tournament, surrendered three competitive doubles contests to begin Wednesday’s match, one by a score of 9-7 and another 8-5.
In singles, LCSC’s Livia Blasque (No. 2), Rye Hewett (No. 4), and Florencia Martina (No. 6) picked up wins, however, Northwood clinched the match with victories at No. 1 and No. 3.
Northwood (10-7), which swept Indiana-Southeast 9-0 in the opening round, moves on to play second-seeded and defending national champion Auburn Montgomery (Ala.) on Thursday.
The Warriors, who were making their 13th appearance at nationals in program history, will lose only one senior, Dorothy Chong, from this year’s squad.
Northwood 5, Lewis-Clark State 3
1. Justyna Wojcik (NU) def. Dorothy Chong (LCSC) 6-1, 6-0
2. Livia Blasque (LCSC) def. Valentina Souki (NU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Adelaide Wood (NU) def. Bryn Oliveira (LCSC) 6-2, 6-0
4. Rye Hewett (LCSC) def. Livia Toth (NU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Deanri Human (LCSC) vs. Julia Ferraz (NU) unfinished
6. Florencia Martina (LCSC) def. Melanie Snowberger (NU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Justyna Wojcik/Adelaide Wood (NU) def. Dorothy Chong/Livia Blasque (LCSC) 8-5
2. Valentina Souki/Livia Toth (NU) def. Bryn Oliveira/Rye Hewett (LCSC) 8-1
3. Julia Ferraz/Melanie Snowberger (NU) def. Deanri Human/Florencia Martina (LCSC) 9-7