What is a Credential File?
A Credential File (sometimes called Placement File or Reference File) is a file, maintained by Career & Advising Services, that contains letters of recommendation from intern supervisors, cooperating teachers, faculty, former employers, and other relevant references. At your request, it can be copied and provided to potential employers or graduate/professional schools.
Who may establish a file?
Persons who hold a degree conferred by Lewis-Clark State College (LCSC), current LCSC students, and students pursuing Idaho teaching certification through the LCSC Division of Education.
What does a file contain?
A. Candidate Information Form - Completed and updated by you, this form provides us (and potential employers/graduate schools) with current information about you and your references.
B. Recommendations - You are allowed up to five at any one time.
Note: Transcripts and resumes are not part of your Credential File.
Why do I need a file?
Many employers (and virtually all school districts) require a file containing current reference letters as part of the application process. This is a convenient manner in which to submit letters without having to ask a reference to write new recommendations for every application you make.
Where can I send my file?
Your file can be sent to any bona fide employer as part of the employment application process and may also be used in applying for admission to graduate school.
Registration Policy and Procedures
Procedure for Establishing a Credential File:
- Complete the registration process for CAS which includes the following:
a. Complete a registration card and select either b, c, or d as follows:
b. You may select "Reference Page" (no formal credential file will be established). This ensures that your information will be entered into CAS current academic year's database and that your name and phone number will be released to inquiring employers.
c. You may select "Formal Credential File" and specify the preference for an "OPEN" credential file on the registration card.
- Once a file is established as open, it may not be changed to confidential.
- By choosing an open file, you have the right to review all contents of your credential file while present in the Career & Advising Services Office or to request a copy of the file be sent to you to keep in your possession.
d. You may select "Formal Credential File" and specify the preference for a "CONFIDENTIAL" credential file on the registration card.
- Once a file is established as confidential, it may not be changed to open.
- Once you have selected a "Confidential File", you have forfeited your right to know any information about the contents or appearance of reference letters located in your file. CAS staff will not provide any description of letter contents, nor should the job candidate ask this information of employers reviewing their file.
e. In addition, you must complete a "Candidate Information Form". Go to the Candidate Information Form or to the Microsoft Word version of the Candidate Information Form . This information will be entered into CAS current academic year's database for recent graduates.
- Upon completion and submission of the above (#1) to CAS, you will be officially registered for all placement related services. During this time, if you established a formal credential file, you may request the appropriate recommendation forms ("OPEN" or "CONFIDENTIAL") to provide to your references. On-campus faculty have the option of completing recommendation forms using a computer disk. Disks may be requested from CAS. It is the responsibility of the student/alumni to provide their reference with a stamped return envelop addressed to CAS to have their recommendation forwarded to our office.
- A student graduates and transitions into alumni status (six months post graduation). At this point, the database information on the student is copied on to a computer disk and purged from the current database. Alumni may request placement into a current database at any time.
Guidelines for Establishing Credential File and Using Request Service
- We suggest you begin the process early, preventing the possibility that your file is not complete when you are ready to send a file to an employer.
- You may choose to send a file prior to all references arriving; however, CAS will not send individual letters to employers. If a credential file is sent prior to completion, the student/alumni must request the entire file be sent again to include the letters once they arrive.
- All requests for sending files MUST be made via a WRITTEN or EMAILED request. For purpose of confidentiality, NO PHONE REQUESTS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- Please allow two (2) working days to complete your sending request. CAS processes credential files as they arrive. We are unable to hold a request until a file is complete.
Credential File Fees
- Payment for the sending of credential files MUST accompany the credential file's WRITTEN or EMAILED request unless a pre-payment fee has been applied to the individual's account.
- Credit card payments are not available.
- Students and alumni wishing to establish formal credential files will be subject to the fee structure below. All formal credential files will be destroyed five years postgraduation or five years post renewal of an existing file. This ensures credential files are current and up-to-date.
RECENT LCSC GRADUATES
- Each new LCSC graduate is provided with five free files to be used within six months postgraduation. Once those are used, or after six months expires (whichever comes first), sending files will cost $5/file.
- U.S. Fax: $5. This fee is in addition to the $5 sending fee. A faxed file, unless requested otherwise by the candidate, is ALWAYS followed with a mailed file.
LCSC ALUMNI (six months post-graduation)
- $5/file sent.
- U.S. Fax: $5. This fee is in addition to the $5.00 sending fee. A faxed file, unless requested otherwise by the candidate, is ALWAYS followed with a mailed file.
- Not eligible for credential file service.