Table of contents:
State College requires an
approved Purchase Order prior to
committing institutional funds
for direct billings.
However, there are
occasions when a vendor may not
accept a Purchase Order or
P-Card as a method of payment.
In most cases, a
substitution of vendors can
alleviate this problem.
In the cases that another
suitable vendor cannot be found
a prepayment can be requested.
What are acceptable reasons
to justify prepayment?
- LCSC is unable to open an account with the vendor based on credit terms.
- The order form states that a check must accompany the order.
- The Purchase Order is returned with a request for prepayment.
procedures are required to request a prepayment?
- Verify that an approved vendor is being used.
- Obtain a price quote including any applicable shipping and handling.
- Complete a purchase requisition.
- Complete an order form and attach to the requisition.
- Indicate prepaid in remarks box on the requisition.
- Indicate mailing preference in the remarks box; department pickup or normal mail procedures.
- Obtain appropriate approval signatures.
- Attach order form or vendor communication to the requisition.
- Submit the approved requisition to the Purchasing Department at least five business days before the check is needed.
What can be
done if no vendor order form is available to support a prepayment
When payment is needed prior to receipt of goods or
services indicate on the requisition “Invoice to Follow”.
The department is responsible for the return of all
unused funds, associated with a prepayment, within 5 business days after
receipts of goods or services. Unused funds should be returned to the
Controller’s Office so they can be deposited back into the original cost
center and recorded as a reduction of expenses.