Dr. Amy E. Canfield
Associate Professor of History
- Ph.D., U.S./Public History, Washington State University, 2008
Dissertation: "The 'Annoying Question of Water': Trust-Fund Violations and Federal Mismanagement on the Fort Hall Indian Reservation, 1891-1928"
- M.A., U.S. History, Washington State University, 2004
- B.A., History and Women's Studies, Idaho State University, 2002
Articles (refereed journals)
- "'These Lands are Worthless Without Water': The Federal Government's Divided Loyalties in Irrigating the Fort Hall Indian Reservation, 1902-1918," Pacific Northwest Quarterly (Summer 2014: Vol. 105:3).
- “The ‘Civilizing Mission’ Revisited: The Impacts of Assimilation on Shoshone-Bannock Women,” Idaho Yesterdays (Spring/Summer 2010, Vol. 51:1)
- “’The Wheels of Progress Must Not be Closed’: The 1902 Land Rush on the Fort Hall Indian Reservation,” Journal of the West (Fall 2007, Vol. 46:4).
- “Stephen King’s Dolores Claiborne and Rose Madder: A Literary Backlash Against Domestic Violence,” Journal of American Culture (December 2007, Vol. 30:4).
- “Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail Park Assessments” (Student Project Award article) National Council on Public History: Public History News (June 2007).
Articles (non-refereed publications)
- “New at the Museum: Talkington Exhibit,” The Golden Age: The Newsletter of the Nez Perce County Historical Society (Spring/Summer 2012, Vol. 32:1)
- “A Shrinking Reservation: The Pocatello Land Rush of 1902,” The Mountain Light: The Newsletter of the Idaho State Historical Society (Summer 2006).
- Exploring American Histories: Instructor Resource Manual, Volume 1, co-author, Bedford-St. Martin Press, 2013.
- “Cultural Resource Assessment of Grand Canyon National Park,” Flagstaff, Arizona, National Parks Conservation Association, (August 2010).
- “Cultural Resource Assessment of Vicksburg National Military Park,” Vicksburg, Mississippi, National Parks Conservation Association, (November 2007).
- “Preserving Vicksburg’s Battlefield: Assessing the Threats and Resources of Vicksburg National Military Park,” co-authored report with John Watson (Evergreen Consulting Associates) (August 2007)
- “Cultural Landscape Report: Virginia City and Nevada City, Montana,” Virginia City, Montana, (July 2007).
- “Cultural Resource Assessment of Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park,” Hilo, Hawai’i, National Parks Conservation Association, (June 2007).
- “Cultural Resource Assessment of the Lewis and Clark National Historic,” Omaha, Nebraska, National Parks Conservation Association, (September 2006).