Basic Emergency Rules
Priority of Situations:
FIRST PRIORITY: LIFE & SAFETY
Assist the Injured and Get Away From Danger!
SECOND PRIORITY: SYSTEMS SUPPORT & ASSESSMENT
Eliminating or Reducing Risks
THIRD PRIORITY: RESTORATION OF GENERAL OFFICE OPERATIONS
- TREAT ALL FIRE ALARMS AS WARNING OF AN ACTUAL EMERGENCY!
- GET OUT OF IMMEDIATE DANGER AND THEN REPORT THE SITUATION BY DIALING (9) 911.
- DO NOT DELAY TO SHUT OFF COMPUTERS, COPIERS, LIGHTS, ETC.
- DO NOT USE ELEVATORS.
- ATTEMPT TO ASSIST ANY MOBILITY-IMPAIRED PERSONS, but if they cannot get out of the building without additional help, consider taking them to SAFE ZONES and notify Security of their location.
- IF THE PRIMARY ESCAPE ROUTE IS BLOCKED, TRY ANOTHER UNTIL YOU FIND A WAY OUT.
- Take coats, keys, valuables, etc., if in the immediate area with you; DO NOT travel any distance back to your office to get them!
- Become familiar with your building’s Evacuation Plan and know where the Assembly Point is located.
NOTE: In serious and immediate emergency situations where you feel evacuation of the entire building is necessary, pulling the fire alarm switch may be the best method to alert everyone involved.