Financial Aid

LCSC Enrollment Policy for Students Receiving VA Education Benefits

The Programs at Lewis-Clark State College are approved by the Idaho State Approving Agency (SAA) for eligible students to receive veterans' education benefits. Students who enroll to receive these benefits are not only required to abide by the policies and rules of this school, but also by the rules and regulations of the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) and the SAA. Students are also required to maintain all standards of conduct and satisfactory academic progress as stated in the official school listing.


Each semester you are certified for the courses in which you are enrolled. This process requires that you inform the Veterans Services Coordinator of your class schedule as soon as you register for classes each semester. A delay in the Veterans Services Coordinator receiving this information will result in a delay in your check. It typically takes 6-8 weeks for certifications to be entered into the DVA computer, so inform the Veterans Services Coordinator as soon as you register.

Acceptable Programs for Payment

Programs of education must be approved under DVA regulations. Your Veterans Services Coordinator will be able to tell you which programs are approved for payment. Within these programs, the DVA will pay educational benefits only for courses needed to complete a specific degree or diploma. Likewise, benefits cannot be paid for courses leading to other degrees or courses taken for personal interest. Summer School and Cooperative Training may be measured differently and you should check with your Veterans Services Coordinator to determine how taking these alternative courses may affect your benefits.

Enrollment Status

In order to receive full-time benefits through the DVA, you must maintain a class schedule of at least 12 credits each semester (summer is an exception and must be handled on an individual basis with the Veterans Services Coordinator). If your enrollment changes at any time during the semester, it is your responsibility to inform your Veterans Services Coordinator of this change. If you do not wish to take 12 credits, you may be paid three-quarter time (9-11 credits) or half-time (6-8 credits) amounts. If you take less than six credits, the DVA will reimburse you for fee expenses only. 

Technical students taking irregular class dates must keep in mind that these dates may affect your payment status for benefits. For example: Let's say that you attend a semester from 01/14/03 through 05/14/03. If you have one of your classes for 3 credits beginning 01/14/03 and ending on 03/07/03 there may be a change in your status when your class ends on that date. The DVA will adjust your payment because the class ended on 03/07/03 and not on 05/14/03, which is the end of the semester.

Advanced Payment

Lewis-Clark State College does not participate in the Advance Payment program.

Verification of Attendance

Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 veterans must verify their enrollment each month.  You can verify your monthly enrollment by calling 1-877-823-2378 and following the instructions given.  Students can also verify using the WAVE system.  Access the WAVE under the Information for Benefit Recipients link at


If your check is late or if you have concerns related to your payment, call the DVA Toll-Free 1-888-442-4551, press 1 then 0 to get to a case manager. This number will reach the DVA Office for Education Benefits. 

Grades, Incompletes, and Withdrawals

Benefits are not payable for retaking courses already taken and passed (unless a higher grade is required for graduation). If a failing (F) grade is received in a course, the DVA will only be notified if the cause of the failing grade is lack of class attendance or lack of completing assignments (reported by the instructor). If an incomplete (I) is received, the student will have one semester to turn the incomplete into a passing grade. If the incomplete is turned into an F, the DVA could be notified and an overpayment may exist. If a student withdraws from courses, benefits will be reduced the effective date of withdrawal. The DVA will create an overpayment in this situation unless it can be proven that there are mitigating circumstances involved. Keep in mind that these rules only apply if certified status is affected (e.g. if you are certified for 12 credits and withdraw from a three-credit course without mitigating circumstances, an overpayment will be charged). On the other hand, if you are certified for 15 credits and withdraw from a three-credit course, status is still full-time and the DVA is not notified.

When You Can Expect to Get Paid

Recipients receive education benefits during the periods of school attendance. Some students need to verify their college enrollment each month in order to receive their benefits.

  • Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 veterans should call toll free (877) 823-2378 or log on to the WAVE option at on the last day of each month in order to verify their enrollment status, and can choose to obtain their money through direct deposit or a mailed check. These students should expect to get paid within one to two weeks after verifying their enrollment status, and are paid a monthly stipend for each month that they are enrolled.
  • Chapter 35 beneficiaries do not verify their monthly enrollment. They will automatically receive their monthly allotment in the form of a mailed check. Chapter 35 recipients are paid a monthly stipend for each month that they are enrolled.
  • Chapter 33 - The Post 9/11 GI Bill is the newest benefit signed into law in 2008. Eligible veterans receive a tuition payment made directly to the school, a monthly housing stipend and a yearly book stipend of up to $1000. The housing stipend and book stipend are sent directly to the student while the tuition payment goes to the school. For more information on Chapter 33 visit

Important Phone Numbers


Phone Number

LCSC Veteran Services  (208) 792-2473, 
LCSC Veteran Services Toll Free Number (800) 933-5272 (Financial Aid) 
VA Education Benefits, Muskogee, Oklahoma  (888) 442-4551 
To Verify Monthly Enrollment (CHPS 30, 1606 & 1607)  (877) 823-2378 
Rocky Davis & Bob Cooper (State Veteran Service Officers)  (208) 799-3422 
Idaho County Veteran Service Officer  (208) 983-0239 
Latah County Veteran Service Officer  (208) 882-8580 
Nez Perce County Veteran Service Officer  (208) 799-3083 
VA Non-Education Benefits  (800) 827-1000 

 Commerce and Labor Veteran Representatives




Phone number

Lewiston Jim Ziegenfuss (208) 799-5000 ext. 3529
Coeur d'Alene Robert Shoeman (208) 769-1558 ext. 310
  Brandia Young   (208) 769-1558



Web address

LCSC Veteran Services 
VA Education Homepage
Disabled American Veterans Homepage
Veterans Affairs Homepage
Idaho Veteran Affairs
Washington Veteran Affairs