International Programs

Immigration FAQs

Immigration Information 

Education USA logo


The International Programs Office staff can help you with all of your immigration and student visa questions.

For information directly from the U.S. government about everything regarding international students, please go here: Study in the States

Looking for help within your own country?  Try your local EducationUSA office. 



The F-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa classification specifically for students coming to the U.S. to study.

  • Contact your local U.S. embassy or consulate for specific information about obtaining the F-1 visa and making an appointment
  • Find your U.S. consular office here: US Embassy
  • Our office cannot give you specific advice on what to say at your visa interview. The best advice we can give is to be calm and polite, and be prepared to explain how studying at LCSC will help you with your future plans in your home country. NAFSA gives some good advice on what to expect at the interview: 10 Points to Remember When Applying for a Student Visa.

Form I-20

  • After you are admitted to LCSC you will be sent a form I-20 with your admission letter and LCSC information. This form qualifies you to apply for an F-1 visa at your local U.S. consular office. Read your I-20 completely and carefully to know your specific program information.
  • Your I-20 should never expire while you are at LCSC completing your academic or language program, so make sure to extend it in time!

Entering the United States

  • For specific information about what you can bring to the U.S. and the entry process please look at the Study in the States website.
  • I-94: This is your electronic entry and departure record that is recorded every time you enter the U.S. It is your responsibility to print it out from the Customs and Border Protection website. You are required to have your passport, visa, I-94 and I-20 at all times while travelling in the U.S.
  • When you are granted entry in to the United States make sure that you are given a stamp in your passport.



  • International Student Orientation is required to officially “check-in” as part of your visa requirements. You will also receive all of the detailed information necessary to maintain your visa status.

F-1 Visa

  • Full course load requirement: Enroll in a minimum of 12 credits for Spring and Fall semesters
  • Only 1 class or 3 credits of online coursework can be applied to your full course load
  • Obtain a travel signature every year if you plan to travel outside of the U.S.
  • Report your address to IPO within 10 days of any move.
  • If you work on campus you are limited to 20 hours per week during the semester
  • Never work off-campus without prior authorization