Work Opportunities and Internships
CPT and OPT Flow Chart
During your Degree Program
All academic programs at Lewis-Clark State College (LCSC) recognize the importance of practical
experiences to better prepare you for your career. During your time at LCSC,
you will have the chance to participate in internships or practicums during your degree program.
Curricular Practical Training (CPT):
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Application
- CPT is a benefit to all F-1 visa holders after 1 full academic year of study at LCSC
- Your internship or job must be related to your academic field and approved by your academic department
- You must enroll in an internship, practicum, or directed study credit
- Work 20 hours per week during the semester and 40 hours per week
- Authorization for CPT is provided on a new I-20 that you receive from the International Programs Office.
You must first be approved for CPT and issued your I-20 before beginning to work!
After You Graduate
After you complete your degree program at LCSC you have the opportunity to work in your field of study
while maintaining F-1 visa status for up to 12 months.
This type of work authorization is called post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT).
Optional Practical Training (OPT):
Optional Practical Training (OPT) Checklist
- OPT is a benefit to all F-1 visa holders after you complete your degree program
- Your job, internship, or volunteer work must be directly related to your academic field and you are responsible for proving its relation
- Authorization for OPT comes from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) with a work authorization card and I-20 from LCSC
- Applications can be submitted to USCIS 90 days before your graduation date and 60 days after your graduation date
- OPT authorization is valid for 12 months
- You have 90 days cumulative unemployment time during the validity of your work authorization card
- Students who graduated in a Science Technology Engineering or Math (STEM) field can apply for a 17-month extension of OPT