Author: Angela Wilson
This PDT will walk you through how to create your Blackboard
IM (Instant Messaging) user so you can chat with fellow
Blackboard Learn users.
1. Create your Blackboard IM user ID and password.
2. Download the Blackboard IM software.
3. Login to Blackboard IM.
4. Locate the Preferences options.
5. Explore the Blackboard IM interface.
6. Explain how to initiate a chat with another user.
7. Explain how to initiate a voice chat with another user.
1. Sign up
for 1 point
2. View the tutorial video (11 min 29 sec) (You will need iTunes
to view the tutorial.)
3. Answer the following questions and email them to
Answer the following questions as you watch the video and
practice the activities.
1. List two uses for Blackboard IM.
2. Can you personalize your Blackboard IM ID?
3. Can you disable a course so students will not see it in their
Blackboard IM course list?
4. Do you have to be logged in to Blackboard to use Blackboard
5. How do you add a picture to your Blackboard IM profile?
6. What does a yellow smiley face icon indicate?
7. How can you tell if a user is currently online and available
8. How do you initiate a text chat with another user?
9. How do you initiate a voice chat with another user?
10. How do you access the chat logs for a specific user?