Lewis-Clark State College was established by an act of Idaho State
Legislature in 1893. It was originally designated the Lewiston Normal School, reflecting
its early mission as a teacher training facility. It has since been Northern Idaho College
of Education and Lewis-Clark Normal School. Its present name, Lewis-Clark State College,
was authorized by the Legislature and governing board in 1971.
Lewis-Clark State College, the University of Idaho, Idaho State University, and Boise
State University make up the Higher Education System of Idaho. The Idaho State Board of
Education governs these universities and Lewis-Clark State College.
The College is accredited by the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges. In
addition to institutional accredited by organizations specific to those majors.
Lewis-Clark State College is a member of the American Association of State Colleges and
Universities, the Council for the Advancement of Experiential Learning, and the American
Association of Colleges for Teacher Education.
The College employs over 100 full-time faculty members, over 100 full-time classified
staff and over 100 full-time exempt staff members. In addition, several hundred adjunct
faculty members, irregular help employees and students on work study are employed by the
college. These employees help serve over 3.000 students representing 34 states, 30 foreign
countries, and one U.S. Trust Territory.