Study Away

Under Construction

Faculty-Led Study Away Programs Take students abroad

Faculty-Led Study Away Programs (FSAP)

Any faculty member at LCSC is able to apply to lead an FSAP through their department with the support of their Division Chair and the LCSC Provost. Students participating in these programs will receive credit and financial aid, if eligible, upon completing required paperwork. All LCSC faculty/staff-led international study programs are required to be approved by IPO in advance.

How to Obtain Approval

All proposals must be submitted in writing by the coordinating faculty member(s) via the FSAP application (contact the Study Away Coordinator for more details). This application must be submitted for approval in the following order:

  1. Study Away Coordinator
  2. Risk Management Office
  3. Department Chair
  4. Controller’s Office
  5. Provost

As covered in detail in the application documentation, program proposals must be for-credit and include a specific itinerary, syllabus, risk management plans, numbers and descriptions of participants and chaperones, as well as participation eligibility criteria. For assistance with safety and health insurance, contact the Risk Management Officer. For assistance with planning and other considerations, contact the Study Away Coordinator.

Advising Students about Study Away

Students who are interested in studying away are highly encouraged to meet with their academic advisor early on to determine how it will fit in with their degree plan.

Students Planning to Use Financial Aid

One of the first questions to ask a student who is considering studying away is whether they plan to use financial aid (loans, grants, and scholarships). If so, please keep in mind that all of the classes they take at the host institution must count toward their degree as either CORE, Major, Minor, or elective classes. The program they choose must be a semester-long and allow them to enroll full-time.  

Some study away programs offer or even require language courses. Students may choose to add a minor, pursue a Bachelor of Arts (which requires 16 credits of language), or use electives in their current degree plan to count language classes toward degree audit requirements and maintain eligibility for financial aid. Students can discuss more specific questions about language courses and requirements with the Division Chair of Humanities.

Students Planning to Self-Fund

Students who are not planning to use financial aid while studying away have fewer limitations. They are constrained only by the LCSC requirement to be full-time while studying away, as well as any personal considerations such as finances. Some students who are not using financial aid and have the funds to do so may choose to take classes that interest them but do not count toward their degree. As long as they understand this may add additional time to obtain their degree, this is an acceptable option.

All Students: Study Away Credit Equivalency Approval

Once students select a study away program, they will need to obtain Study Away Credit Equivalency Approval (located on the back side of the Study Away Form) for the classes they plan to take at the host institution. Students are encouraged to have more classes approved than they actually plan to take, in case any of them are cancelled or otherwise unavailable when the student arrives. If course descriptions are desired, please communicate this to the student right away, as some schools may be able to provide these more readily than others.

The academic advisor should sign off on any classes the student plans to take. S/he should print his/her name where indicated (front and back of the form), fill in the Lewis-Clark State College Subject Number, Course Title and number of credits for which the student will receive upon returning to LCSC for each class the student has listed. Each class that has been approved to transfer should have a signature.

Any courses outside of the student’s major or minor should also be signed off by the corresponding division chair, who will be the most familiar with how the proposed class could transfer back to LCSC. If there is no corresponding class offered at LCSC, the title can simply be “Elective.” Elective classes should still include the number of credits, academic advisor signature, and division chair signature.