National Student Exchange
National Student Exchange (NSE)
NSE is an exchange program with nearly 200 participating schools located in 49 states and the territories of Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. Students pay tuition to LCSC and all other costs to the host institution. Minimum cumulative college GPA to apply is a 2.75.
How Does it Work?
Start by visiting the NSE website to decide which participating school(s) you are interested in; the application allows up to 8, but you should only list as many schools as you would actually consider attending. Schools are divided into the following categories, listed from “most likely” to “least likely” to accept students:
- OPEN (guaranteed)-The host campus will accept all qualified students who apply.
- UNEVEN (depends how many students the host campus sends out, and how many students apply to exchange there in a given year)-The host campus will accept a few more students than it sends on exchange.
- EVEN (depends how many students the school sends out, and how many students apply to exchange there in a given year)-The host campus will accept no more than the number of students it intends to send on exchange.
- 1:1 EVEN (highly unlikely)-The host campus will accept students first from those campuses where it intends to place its own students.
- It is recommended to include at least one OPEN school on your application to ensure placement.
- Lewis-Clark State College allows students to exchange on PLAN B ONLY (paying LCSC tuition). The host institution must also be a semester school.
- Once you have narrowed down which schools you are considering, check with the Study Away Coordinator to better determine probability of placement.
Placements occur once a year in mid-March for the following academic year. If you are placed, you must sign a form called a PAF either accepting or rejecting your placement.
Deadline to Submit Complete Application
Fall or Spring semester: March 1
Navigating the website for more information
- Click on a state to view the schools within it
- Click on a school you think you might be interested in
- Scroll down to view tabs with different information about the school such as programs, conditions, tuition/fees, financial aid, and room/meals. Verify that your major is listed under “Undergraduate Majors Open to NSE Students.”