How to Reach an OWL
If you would like to contact an OWL peer consultant, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You may ask us a specific question about a writing project or send us a
draft of an essay or project. We will contact you within 48 hours
(Monday - Friday) of receiving your message.
If you are sending us a draft of an essay or writing project for
feedback, please help us by following these guidelines:
* Tell us what class and instructor the
assignment is for.
* Give us a brief summary of the
* Tell us what you'd like a peer
consultant to help you with (i.e., thesis, organization, evidence, etc.)
* Send us the draft in a common and accessible format (DOC, DOCX, RTF).
* Use proper formatting such as double-spacing, paragraphing, and indentation.
What Happens in an
On-line Writing Consultation
consultants will try to return comments on your essay to you within 48
hours of your request (Monday - Friday only). You can expect a peer
consultant to devote 30 to 40 minutes to your essay. While the peer
consultant may suggest a particular area of your writing on which to
focus, we encourage you to establish the priorities for the conference.
Consultants may use one or more of the following strategies during your
conference to help you improve your writing:
* reviewing the assignment
* asking questions
* giving positive reinforcement
* providing feedback
* offering constructive criticism
* demonstrating editing and proofreading
* brainstorming and freewriting
* outlining to check organization
* referring to handbooks
* making suggestions for further
What Won't Happen
in a Writing Conference
* we won't tell you what to write.
* we won't correct your writing for you.
* we won't criticize the assignment,
faculty comments, or grades.
* we won't review your writing without
input from you about the assignment and what you want us to focus on.
||Spalding Hall 115