Coding Your Hours
I-Time is an online application that allows employees to create their own timesheets and self-enter time. All employees are required to use I-Time to record your hours worked, vacation, and sick leave hours. The below sections give details on correctly coding I-time.
I-Time General Coding Instructions for Time Sheets
Classified staff must enter time for all hours worked each pay period, no matter what code is used.
- ACT - Actual Hours Worked - All hours worked in a week.
- VAC - Vacation Leave Taken - Leave taken by employee with approval by the department.
- SIC - Sick Leave Taken - Leave taken in cases of actual illness or disability or other medical and health reasons, for the employee or immediate family, which require the employee's absence from work.
- HOL- Holiday Pay (Not Worked) - A day of exemption from work for which employees are paid as if they had worked.
- HOA Holiday Worked Accrued (1.5) - Hours worked on a holiday by an employee with a ‘covered’ FLSA code. HOA hours will be accrued as compensatory time at 1.5 times the hours the employee worked on the holiday.
- HOS Holiday Worked Accrued (1.0) - Hours worked on holiday by a Classified employee with an ‘exempt’ FLSA code. HOS hours will be accrued as compensatory time at 1.0 times the hours the employee worked on the holiday up to the maximum balance allowed of 240 hours.
Professional Staff and Faculty Employees
Professional staff who are considered full-time must enter hours in I-Time when any of their hours fall outside their normal actual hours worked (ACT) designation. If hours are submitted for a holiday (HOL), sick time (SIC), vacation (VAC) or any code other than ACT, all 80 hours for the two-week period must be entered with the appropriate time code. If there are no hours outside their normal working hours, a timesheet does not need to be submitted.
Professional staff who work fewer than forty (40) hours a week OR fewer than 12 months per year must enter a time sheet for all hours each pay period.
Full-time Faculty must enter sick leave hours (SIC) in I-Time when they miss class or other college-based obligations due to illness. Sick leave shall be charged for absences only during contract working days. When completing I-Time, all 80 hours for the two-week period must be entered using the appropriate time code (see above).
Faculty who are less than 1.0 FTE must enter a time sheet for all hours each pay period.
Irregular Help and Students
Irregular Help (IH)
Irregular help benefitted and non-benefitted employees code ACT
- Work-Study Students who have Federal or Idaho Work-Study code WKS for a maximum total of no more than twenty (20) hours per week. Additional hours over (20) they will code REG on a separate line.
- All Other Students will code REG.
Student employees are non-benefitted and they do not qualify for vacation or sick leave. They are eligible for holiday pay at time and a half only when they work on the holiday. They will code these hours as HOW on a separate line.
Supervisors must monitor their employees' time to assure that sick and vacation time are entered appropriately. If, for example, an employee is absent due to illness, but then works for two hours from home, authorization must be granted by the supervisor before those two hours may be entered as actual hours worked.
This will require consistent and accurate communication between employees and their supervisors regarding time away from the office. Supervisors must approve timesheets on a regular basis to assure that all time is recorded appropriately.
On the rare occasions when our community experiences inclement weather, LC State wants to ensure all faculty, staff and students are safe and asks that they use their best judgement and make their own decisions about how safe it is to travel based on the condition near their homes.
Inclement Weather Work Attendance Guidelines:
In accordance with state policy, if an employee makes the decision to stay home due to the inclement weather, the employee may use accrued vacation, compensatory time, or leave without pay to cover the missed work time, if applicable. (Use of accrued sick leave is only appropriate in the case of illness.)
(Examples based on full-time employment)
- If an employee misses a full day due to inclement weather, the employee will code 8 hours of VAC, CPT, or LWO in I-Time
- If an employee comes to work but chooses to leave two hours early to ensure a safe commute home, the employee will code six (6) hours of ACT and two (2) hours of VAC, CPT or LWO in I-Time.
- If the College officially closes due to inclement weather, employees will code 8 hours of ADT (Administrative Leave) in I-Time.
This coding is to be entered for Columbus Day and Veterans Day to accrue hours to use for the day after Thanksgiving and a day during Christmas Break.
Classified employees who are eligible for time and a half will earn compensatory time (CPT) to be taken at a later date (Thanksgiving Holiday, Christmas Holiday)
Classified employees who are eligible for time and a half will code:
8 HOL (on a separate line, to receive Holiday Pay)
8 HOA (please code the actual Total Hours worked on the holiday) on a separate line, to receive “comp time” at time and a half)
Classified Employees who are NOT eligible for time and a half will code:
8 HOL (on a separate line to receive Holiday Pay)
8 HOS (these are the actual hours worked on the holiday) on the second line, to receive “comp time” at straight time)
Professional Staff if they did or did not work on the holiday will code:
8 HOL (on the first line)
8 ACT (the rest of the week)
Non-Benefited employees, IH, and Students
Non-Benefited employees, IH and Students are NOT eligible for Holiday Pay unless they work on the holiday. If they DO work, they are eligible for time and a half paid out only. They will code their actual hours worked on the holiday to receive time and a half.
Work-Study Employees who work on the holiday are NOT eligible to use Work-Study funding (WKS) and must code all HOW hours worked (100%) to the department project code.
Coding for Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday.
Classified Staff will use CPT on the day after Thanksgiving. They will use their balance at Christmas Break supplementing with vacations hours for time off. If they did not work on the Working Holiday because they were sick, code SIC. If they did not work on the working holiday because they took vacation, code VAC.
Professional Staff who worked on the holidays will code the day after Thanksgiving as ADT. They will also code a day at Christmas Break as ADT and supplement the time off with vacation hours. If they did not work on the working holiday because they were sick code SIC. If they did not work on the working holiday because they took vacation, code VAC.
Specific instructions will be posted on the Intranet for each of the holidays.
If you are unsure how to code an I-Time situation, please call Payroll at 208 792 2204.