Welcome to Canvas!
Get ready to take your learning to the next level! The next LC State classes you take will have a new online component: the transition of our Learning Management System (LMS) to Canvas is complete and all Fall 2020 classes are in Canvas!
Canvas was selected as the best platform for advancing the college's teaching and learning mission. The Canvas platform creates an intuitive learning environment by helping students interact and learn.
The transition to Canvas should be a breeze for most students. The user interface is organized around three major components: Global Navigation, Content Window, and Sidebar.
- The Global Navigation column is on the left side of the screen and serves as the main menu for Canvas. It provides direct access to your account settings, the Dashboard, and your courses, groups, calendar, and inbox. Plus, it lets you access live help if needed.
- The Content Window displays the features for the menu option you’ve selected. When you log into Canvas, it automatically opens to the Dashboard, which is a high-level overview of your current courses. The Dashboard provides a quick, one-screen view of the assignments, announcements, files, and discussions associated with each of your classes.
- The Sidebar on the right side of the screen features a To-Do List of upcoming deadlines, as well as Recent Feedback for the grades or instructor comments for your assignments and tests.
Canvas is designed to be easy to use. It provides you with the information you need, when you need it. Here are just some of the things it can do:
- Collect Your Course Cards: Access each of your courses by clicking on the Course Card from the Dashboard or by clicking on Courses from Global Navigation. The course pages are set up by your instructors, and they provide your current grades, assignments, discussions, and any other materials your professor has included.
- Know What You Need to Do: Canvas helps you stay on top of your coursework. When professors enter due dates for assignments, quizzes, tests, and papers, all are listed on the course calendar and will automatically appear in your To-Do list. You can add your own items to a personal calendar for meetings or task deadlines.
- Keep in Touch: Communicating with your instructors, teammates, and fellow classmates is a breeze with Canvas. You can send and receive messages from the Inbox.
- Personalize Your Canvas: Adjust settings to make Canvas work specifically for you. Set your notification preferences to determine how and when you receive alerts. Choose the Dashboard view that works best for you: by class, due dates, or recent notifications/activity. Or upload personal files.
Student life keeps you on the move. The Canvas Student mobile app supports your on-the-go lifestyle by offering a mobile learning experience. With the app, you can view key information (like grades and new assignments), send and receive messages, submit assignments, and review your To-Do list anytime/anywhere. With the convenience of the app, checking Canvas will become an automatic part of your academic routine.
Success in Canvas
- Download the Canvas Student app from Google Play or the Apple App Store
- Bookmark the Canvas login URL: lcsc.instructure.com (Learn about accessing Canvas)
- All students are enrolled in Passport to Canvas, a self-paced course in Canvas that helps students learn Canvas
- Passport to Canvas consists of nine modules of content that takes students through everything they need to know about using Canvas. Participants are taken on a tour around the globe stopping at each of the Instructure offices to learn another facet of the Canvas platform.
- Note: If a student is enrolled in the for-credit SD-133: Intro to Online Coursework, you will not see Passport to Canvas on your dashboard.