Lewis-Clark State College began developing a reputation for its teacher education program over a century ago. To this day, LCSC offers students an Elementary Teacher Education Program that is refined annually to exceed today's expectations and standards for teachers. Graduates of the LCSC Elementary Teacher Education Program find employment because of their skills, their experiences, and the reputation of their alma mater as an excellent teacher preparation institution.
Program Overview & Requirements
- Students enrolled in the Elementary Teacher Education program (grades K-8) will complete 62 credits of professional education courses including a year-long clinical internship under the guidance of a faculty member and on-site teacher educators in a local elementary or middle school.
- Students in Elementary Education will provide evidence through performance that they have become dedicated and knowledgeable professionals, content specialists, competent educational designers, capable educational facilitators, insightful educational evaluators, culturally responsive professionals, and reflective professionals before being recommended for an endorsement in elementary education.
- In accordance with state certification requirements, students will complete coursework for a minor/endorsement in a second teaching area. It is the student's responsibility to work closely with their advisor to ensure compliance with certification requirements. To view the required courses specific to the education program, look at the official Elementary Education program plan.
Note for Students with Out-of-State Home Addresses: If considering an academic program that leads to a professional license or certification in your state, it is highly recommended that you first seek guidance from the appropriate licensing agency in your home state BEFORE beginning the academic program located outside your state, or upon changing states. Please visit the Professional Licensure Disclosures website for more information.
Other Key Assessments & Qualifications:
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better to get into the Elementary Program.
- Grade of "B-" or better in all Professional Studies coursework (Phase II and III; see program plan).
- Grade of "B-" or better in all Minor Endorsement coursework or cumulative GPA in the minor endorsement courses of 3.0 or higher.
- Proficient professional performances in authentic settings.
- Evidence of the appropriate dispositions of a teacher.
- Completion of the Professional Portfolio and PBA.
- Passage of the exit interview.
- Completion and Review of all LCSC requirements for graduation.
- Completion and Review of all Idaho requirements for certification.