Direct Parent PLUS Loans
PLUS loans are federal loans that parents of dependent undergraduate students can use to help pay education expenses. The U.S. Department of Education makes Direct PLUS Loans to eligible borrowers through participating schools. Lewis-Clark State College participates in the Direct PLUS Loan Program.
In order to receive a Direct PLUS Loan your child must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and you must complete a Loan Agreement (MPN) and a Request for Direct PLUS Loan at https://studentloans.gov
PLUS Loan facts
- The U.S. Deparment of Education is the lender.
- The borrower must not have an adverse credit history.
- The maximum loan amount is the student's Cost of Attendance (as determined by the school) minus any other financial aid received.
- Student must be enrolled at least half-time in a degree seeking program.
- Student must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- Fixed interest rate is 7.08% for Direct PLUS loans first disbursed on or after July 1, 2019 and before July 1, 2020.
- There is a 4.248% loan origination fee on all PLUS Loans with the first disbursement on or after October, 1, 2018 and before October 1, 2019. The loan origination fee for PLUS loans with the first disbursement on or after October 1, 2019 and before October 1, 2020 will be 4.236%. The fee will be proportionately deducted from each loan disbursement.
- PLUS loan repayment begins once the loan is fully disbursed (paid out), however, you may contact your lender to request a deferment.