International Student Taxes

All international students are required to file US taxes, regardless of earned income.  The International Programs Office can provide you with basic US tax information and connect you with resources to file your taxes.

Students with taxable income in filing period

You may not have or need some of these; this is a list of all documents that you might need:

  • Passport, visa, I-94 record
  • I-20 or DS-2019
  • Social security number or Individual tax payer identification number
  • Current US address and permanent foreign address
  • Name and address of educational institution and/or sponsoring agency
  • All relevant tax forms such as; W-2, 1042-S, 1099
  • Scholarship or fellowship grant letters
  • Copy of last year's tax forms (if you had any)

Filing taxes usually requires professional assistance.  Only qualified, professional tax accountants or professionals are able to help you file.  International programs recommends the following resources:

  • Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA): IRS-certified volunteers offer free, basic tax filing assistance for nonresident and resident tax filers.  Contact [email protected] for more information about the local VITA chapter.
  • IRS Tax Assistance Center: appointment is necessary.
  • Sprintax: International Programs recommends filing taxes with Sprintax.  It is an online tax software, specifically designed to assist international students.  There is a fee for using the Sprintax program.
Students without taxable income sources in filing period

If you did not earn income via income, investments, stipends, or taxable scholarship funds you must submit Form 8843.  This is an information statement required by the U.S. Government.

If you are ONLY filing Form 8843, you must print, sign and mail it to:

Department of the Treasury

Internal Revenue Service Center

Austin, TX 73301-0215



This information is intended only for international students with income sources and levels typical of students at LC State.  Although information contained in this site has been reviewed carefully, it is not a substitute for advice obtained by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or a qualified tax accountant.  For most filings, students should consult a qualified tax account or professional software program.

Students are individually responsible for verifying that the correct information has been entered into all tax documents or tax preparation software.  Students are ultimately responsible for any errors or omissions.

Penalties for not complying with the filing requirement may include, but are not limited to:

  • Denials of future requests for a Change of Status (especially for Permanent Residency)
  • Denials of visa renewals at American Consulates/Embassies
  • Fines and interest accrual on unreported income
  • If filed more than 3 years late, a refund will not be remitted by the IRS to the taxpayer

If you don't file your tax forms with the IRS by the tax deadline, or need to correct a mistake, you may be able to submit an amended tax return or mail the necessary tax documents even after the deadline date.  Consult with a tax professional for assistance regarding back filing.