Challenge Exams are designed by LCSC faculty with expertise in the subject area to assess your prior knowledge of the learning outcomes of a particular course. If you believe you have mastered the course learning outcomes through experience, independent study, or other means, you may petition to challenge a course for credit. If you pass the exam, you will be awarded credit for the course, and it will be posted on your transcript. Fees and regulations apply.
Challenge Exams Available
|Course||Number||Am I Ready||Credits|
- Students must NOT be enrolled in a course they intend to challenge. Students must currently be enrolled in the semester in which they complete the Challenge Exam.
- Only LCSC approved courses may be challenged; some courses are not available for credit by Challenge Exam.
- Students may not challenge a course during the final semester in which they anticipate being awarded a degree/certificate.
- Students may not challenge a course previously audited, previously failed, or for which they have received credit via another means of prior learning assessment.
- Students may only challenge any given course one time.
- Contact Sarah Willmore, Dual Credit and Challenge Exam Coordinator, at [email protected] with questions or to begin the challenge process.
- Review the “Am I Ready” document for this exam and confirm your readiness for this exam with your signature on the Course Challenge Form.
- Meet with the Division Chair of the exam for approval signature on the Course Challenge Form. Then meet with the instructor of the exam for approval signature on the same form.
- Pay your Challenge Exam Fee online at www.lcsc.edu/testing-center with credit or debit or at the cashier’s office (ADM building) with cash or check. The Challenge exam fee is $70.
- Schedule your proctored exam with the Testing Center (www.lcsc.edu/testing-center), by phone at (208) 792-2100, by visiting the LIB, Rm 161, or by filling out the Online Appointment Request Form. For off-site testing, please visit the testing center website for Proctor request form.
- Take the exam – Bring photo ID and receipt for payment to your appointment.
- Exam Assessment: The exam will be sent to the instructor for grading. After the exam has been assessed, the Dual Credit and Special Projects office will notify you of the exam results. If you pass the exam, the credits will be posted to your transcript. If you do not pass the exam, the results will not be posted.