A course Portfolio is a formal means of requesting assessment of your prior work/life experience from which you have developed sufficient college-level learning to earn credit for a specific class. Portfolios are assessed by faculty with expertise in the subject matter, and if the assessor determines that the Portfolio demonstrates appropriate college-level learning and achievement of the Course Outcomes, the course and credits will be noted on your LCSC transcript.
Students may enroll in an 8-week, 1-credit Portfolio Development course which will provide general orientation and guidance in prior learning assessment and the portfolio process. For more information and a link to register for the course go to the Adult Learner Program.
Below is a generic template for creating a portfolio for assessment. It is imperative that a student work with a program advisor to identify appropriate courses to challenge based on their individualized experiences. Further below is a listing of assessment templates for specific courses or internship credits. A student may use one of these pre-made portfolio guides or create one for a different appropriate course using the generic template.
Examples of Specific Portfolio Assessments
|Course||Number||Portfolio Assessment Guide||Credits|
- Students must be enrolled at LCSC in the semester in which they submit a Portfolio.
- Students must not be enrolled in the course for which they intend to submit a Portfolio for assessment.
- Students may not submit a Portfolio for a course they have previously audited, previously failed, or for which they have received credit via another means of prior learning assessment.
- Students may only submit a Portfolio for assessment for a specific course one time. Portfolios will not be returned and will be kept on file in accordance with Records Retention policies.
- Credit awarded through Portfolio assessment is limited to 25% of the total credits required for a degree.
- Contact Ashley James, Dual Credit and Prior Learning Assessment Coordinator, at [email protected] with questions or to begin the Portfolio process.
- Determine (after consulting with a program advisor) which courses are appropriate for portfolio assessment based on your work and life experience. Use the generic template or one of the pre-made guides above to begin preparing portfolio(s), and confirm readiness for the assessment process with your signature on the Course Portfolio Form.
- Meet with the Division Chair and instructor of the course to discuss the specific details required for your portfolio creation and submission.
- Pay your Portfolio Assessment Fee online at www.lcsc.edu/testing-center with credit or debit or at the cashier’s office (ADM building) with cash or check. The Portfolio Assessment fee is $75.
- Schedule your appointment to submit the Portfolio with the Testing Center (www.lcsc.edu/testing-center), by phone at (208) 792-2100, by visiting the LIB, Rm 161, or by filling out the Online Appointment Request Form.
- Submit Portfolio – Bring photo ID and receipt for payment to your appointment.
- Portfolio Assessment Results: The Portfolio will be sent to the instructor for assessment. After the Portfolio has been assessed, the Early College Programs office will notify you of the assessment results. If you pass the assessment, the credits will be posted to your transcript. If you do not pass the assessment, the results will not be posted.