Planning for an Emergency
Emergencies at LC State don't occur very often. However, everyone must be prepared and act properly when an emergency does occur. We work with Building Evacuation Monitors and each building has an evacuation plan in place if such an even does occur. We, and other departments, are trained and will respond accordingly when fire, bomb-threat, etc. does occur.
What Can You Do?
You have already taken the first step by reading this information. In addition, you can:
- (Re)familiarize with your daily surroundings.
- Know the specific "ins and outs" unique to your work area
- Emergency routes out of the buildings
- Location of fire extinguishers
- Location of the nearest first-aid kit
- Location of alarm boxes.
- Review these pages every so often. In the event of an emergency, you probably wont have the time to read this.
- Encourage your co-workers, roommates, and friends to become familiar with this information.
- Familiarity may one day save a life!
We, in conjunction with the PDT program, offer classes in campus safety and active shooter prevention. Please check for scheduled classes to attend or contact us for individualized training.
Reporting Emergencies/Criminal Actions
All emergencies, day or night, should be directed to the Security office whenever possible. Patrol officers are available 24-hours/day, 7 days a week. We will respond and initiate whatever action is necessary, including the notification of specific emergency services (Police, Ambulance, Fire). We will also determine the need to alert the administrative chain of command.
When reporting an emergency, crime, or suspicious activity, be prepared to provide a situation assessment which should include:
- Type of emergency or criminal activity.
- Exact location of emergency or criminal activity.
- Description of individuals involved.
- Size of area involced.
- Number of injuries/casualties.
Remain calm and stay on the line until you are sure the emergency responders know where to find you and/or the emergency.
- Note: If you call Security and/or (9)911 from an LC State phone, you must advise the officer/dispatcher where you are located. We have no way of knowing your location unless you tell us.
- Know the name of the building you are in and the room number of the emergency.
We will convey this information to the appropriate emergency services.
Business/day time emergencies: 208-792-2226 or ext. 2226 from an LC State phone.
24 hours/day emergency phone: 208-792-2815 or ext 2815 from an LC State phone.
Other Emergency Services
Lewiston Police Department: 208-746-0171 (non-emergency) or (9)911.
Lewiston Fire Department: 208-743-3554 (non-emergency) or (9)911.
Student Counseling Services
Sam Glenn Complex, Rm 212
After hours call:
- YWCA Crisis Line at: 208-746-9655 or 1-800-669-3176.
- You can also call St. Joseph Regional Medical Center Emergency room at 208-743-2511 or 1-800-678-2513.
Call Student Counseling Services for information on local chapter and/or self help groups.