Planning for an Emergency
- Plan ahead for a fire emergency. Know your emergency escape routes (at least two).
- Walk through the exit routes so that you can find your way in thick smoke.
- Note the corners, obstacles, doors, and hallways.
- Learn the location of the fire extinguishers and alarm boxes.
- Keep room exits and hallways clear of obstructions.
- Call Physical Plant at x2247 for excess furniture.
- Pull the nearest alarm box and call (9) and 208-792-2815 (or 2815), if possible.
- If you are able to extinguish the fire with a portable fire extinguisher, position yourself between the fire and an emergency exit to ensure your safety.
- Evacuate immediately if you can not contain the fire.
- Let the Fire Department handle the situation.
- Exit quickly, even if you only suspect a fire.
- Don't pause for belongings.
- Make sure others are evacuating.
- In a fire, seconds!
- Security personnel will assist with the evacuation process.
- Feel doors before opening.
- If cool, open slowly and check conditions.
- If hot, do not try; try alternate route.
- Use the stairs, no elevators.
- In a fire, elevators may be deadly, as they fill up with smoke and may stop operating.
- In smoke, state low or crawl.
- The best air is near the ground.
- If possible, cover your nose and mouth with a we cloth.
- Close doors behind you to prevent the fire/smoke from spreading.