Veterans Services

sidewalk going to Sam Glenn Complex

Enrollment Policy


The Programs at Lewis-Clark State College are approved by the Idaho State Approving Agency (SAA) for eligible students to receive veterans' education benefits. Students who enroll to receive these benefits are not only required to abide by the policies and rules of this school, but also by the rules and regulations of the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) and the SAA. Students are also required to maintain all standards of conduct and satisfactory academic progress as stated in the official school listing.


Certifications are processed each semester for which you intend to use benefits. Inform the Coordinator of Veterans' Services of your class schedule as soon as you register for classes each semester.

A delay in submitting this information will result in a delay in your payment.

*Expect an entire month for VA to process your claim and submit your tuition payment (for Post 9/11 GI Bill®)  or stipend... Plan ahead!

Non-Resident Tuition Waver

The VA requires certain "covered individuals" to be granted tuition at the Resident Rate for terms that began after July 1, 2017. "Covered Individuals" are: 

  1. Veterans living within the state of Idaho (regardless of formal state of residence) who are discharged after a period of active duty service of 90 days or more. 
  2. Dependents using transferred benefits who live within the state of Idaho (regardless of formal state of residence) where the transferor was discharged after a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  3. Any student under section 1 or 2 who remains continuously enrolled (except for regularly scheduled breaks between courses, semesters, or terms) at the same school. Such individuals must be using benefits under either the MGIB (chapter 30) or Post-9/11 (chapter 33).
  4. Any student living in the state of Idaho and using transferred Post-9/11 benefits while the transferor is on active duty.
  5. Anyone using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship and living in the state of Idaho (regardless of formal state of residence).

Additionally, there is an Out-of-State Tuition scholarship available through LCSC financial aid. The information on that is available here:

Verification of Enrollment (Monthly)

Student Verification of Enrollment

Students receiving Chapter 30 and 1606 must verify their enrollment monthly by Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by Interactive Voice Response (IVR). The monthly verification of enrollment has not been added for Chapter 33 and Chapter 35.

The preferred verification method is WAVE, which includes features not in IVR. 

The earliest students can verify their enrollment is the last calendar day of each month.

Students must be currently enrolled in an approved educational program and must have a current benefit award to use WAVE. The WAVE system permits students to perform a multitude of functions. For instance, students may:

• Verify that enrollment has not changed

• Report a change in enrollment

• Change mailing address

• Initiate or change direct deposit information

• View the enrollment period and monthly benefit amount

• View the remaining entitlement

• Sign up for a monthly e-mail reminder

IVR allows students to “phone in” (1-877-823-2378) their monthly verification if there are no changes to the enrollment during the previous month. If there were changes in the enrollment, the student must contact the VA Certifying Official to submit a change in status and the payment may be delayed until the reduction is processed.

Grades, Incompletes, and Withdrawals

Benefits are not payable for re-taking courses already taken and passed (unless a higher grade is required for graduation). If a failing (F) grade is received in a course, VA will be notified. If the cause of the failing grade is lack of class attendance or lack of completing assignments, you may be required to repay VA for all or a portion of that semester's benefits. If an incomplete (I) is received, the student will have one semester to turn the incomplete into a passing grade. If the incomplete is turned into an F, VA could be notified and an overpayment may exist. If a student withdraws from courses, benefits will be reduced the effective date of withdrawal. VA will create an overpayment in this situation unless it can be proven that there are mitigating circumstances involved. Keep in mind that these rules only apply if certified status is affected (e.g. if you are certified for 12 credits and withdraw from a three-credit course without mitigating circumstances, an overpayment will be charged). On the other hand, if you are certified for 15 credits and withdraw from a three-credit course, status is still full-time and VA is not notified.

When You Can Expect to Get Paid

Recipients receive education benefits during the periods of school attendance. Some students need to verify their college enrollment each month in order to receive their benefits.

  • Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 veterans should log on to WAVE on the last day of each month in order to verify their enrollment status, and can choose to obtain their money through direct deposit or a mailed check. These students should expect to get paid within one to two weeks after verifying their enrollment status, and are paid a monthly stipend for each month that they are enrolled.
  • Chapter 35 beneficiaries do not verify their monthly enrollment. They will automatically receive their monthly allotment in the form of a mailed check. Chapter 35 recipients are paid a monthly stipend for each month that they are enrolled.
  • Chapter 33 beneficiaries receive a tuition payment made directly to the school, a monthly housing allowance (conditional) and a yearly book stipend of up to >000. The housing allowance and book stipend are sent directly to the student while the tuition payment goes to the school. For more information on Chapter 33 visit

Enrollment Status

In order to receive full-time benefits through the VA, you must maintain a class schedule of at least 12 credits each semester (summer is an exception and must be handled on an individual basis with the Veterans Services Coordinator). If your enrollment changes at any time during the semester, it is your responsibility to inform the Office of Veterans' Services of this change. If you do not wish to take 12 credits, you may be paid three-quarter time (9-11 credits) or half-time (6-8 credits) amounts. If you take less than six credits, the VA will reimburse you for fee expenses only. 

Technical students taking irregular class dates must keep in mind that these dates may affect your payment status for benefits. For example: Let's say that you attend a semester from 01/14/03 through 05/14/03. If you have one of your classes for 3 credits beginning 01/14/03 and ending on 03/07/03 there may be a change in your status when your class ends on that date. The VA will adjust your payment because the class ended on 03/07/03 and not on 05/14/03, which is the end of the semester.

Advanced Payment

Lewis-Clark State College does not participate in the Advance Payment program.


Veteran Services
Contact (208) 792-2473(208) 792-2193 (fax) Mailing 500 8th Ave Lewiston, ID 83501