Student Affairs

Reid Centennial Hall (1)

Student Complaints/Grievances

Lewis-Clark State College is committed to helping you be successful during your time here.  LCSC provides grievance procedures for students on various issues, several are listed below with links for the process and appeal forms.  We know sometimes things happen that are beyond a discussion with a faculty member or advisor, and would like to provide with you with another avenue if you should find yourself needing more help.  If you would like to file a complaint, please fill out the form below (name and contact information is required) and allow up two (2) business days for a response.  If you would like to file an anonymous complaint click on the link to the right of the page.

Grade Appeal

If a student believes he or she has received an incorrect or unfair grade, that student should contact the appropriate instructor, no later than one full semester after receiving the grade in question, to attempt to resolve the disagreement. If the student and faculty member resolve that disagreement to their mutual satisfaction, no further proceedings are necessary. If the student and faculty member are unable to resolve the disagreement to their mutual satisfaction go to for the full appeal process.

Financial Aid/Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal

In the case of extenuating circumstances (such as injury, illness, or death of an immediate family member), you may appeal your suspension to the Financial Aid Office. The appeal form must be submitted with documentation detailing the circumstances that prevented you from making satisfactory academic progress, and shows how the issues have been resolved. Appeal forms may be picked up from the Financial Aid Office, or obtained online at

Title II/Section 504/Americans with Disabilities Act

Lewis-Clark State College follows a grievance procedure for students who believe they have not been appropriately provided accommodations.  For more information go to  

Title VI/Title IX/Non-Discrimination

LC State is committed to providing an educational environment that is free from discrimination, sexual harassment, and retaliation.  The college values and upholds the equal dignity of all members of its community and strives to balance the rights of the parties through the grievance process during what is often a difficult time for all those involved.  Any individual who believes they may have been the target of, or witness to, discrimination, sexual harassment or retaliation, may report their concerns to the Coordinator for the Office of Equity, Inclusion and Compliance or other college official with authority.  For more information go to policy 3.110 Discrimination, Sexual Harassment and Retaliation Prohibited.     


Please note to file a grievance through the Office of Student Affairs, name and contact information will be required.  


Complainant Information



Submit Confidential Report

Confidential Report Line:   855-840-0070

All calls are confidential and the identity of the caller will remain anonymous.

Student Code of Conduct Policy

Student Grievance Policy

Student Affairs
Reid Hall, Rm 112 500 8th Avenue Lewiston, Idaho 83501 Contact (208) 792-2218(800) 933-5272 ext 2218 (toll free)(208) 792-2314 (fax)
  • Criminal misconduct - complaints should be filed with local law enforcement
  • Violations of federal law - complaints should be filed directly with the appropriate federal agency