Institutional Review Board
The Institutional Review Board protects the rights of humans in research and maintains confidentiality of data. History has demonstrated the need for appropriate oversight which resulted in the regulations we have today. Lewis-Clark State College holds Federalwide Assurance (FWA) through the Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP). LCSC's FWA number is 00025141.
The Institutional Review Board (IRB) will provide assistance with research applications that involve human participants for both students and faculty.
Activities that may require Institutional Review Board review and approval include:
- Human participant surveys
- Collecting or using data about humans
- Use of human tissues/specimens
- Activities involving interaction or intervention with human participants
- Data about identifiable living persons when the data is not publicly available
- Data or samples that can be linked to an identifiable living person
Assistance and Information
IRB Chair, Dr. Michael Edgehouse, is available to consult with students and faculty. Professor Edgehouse will provide student help sessions to facilitate the application process. Pending the instructor's invitation, Professor Edgehouse will visit classes and discuss the role of the IRB, and provide tips for completing a successful IRB application.
Once dead week starts, there is no promise of any review activity on applications. Reviews during breaks are also on an as-possible basis.