History & Overview
Lewis-Clark State College (LC State) was established by the Idaho State Legislature in 1893.
It originally was designated Lewiston State Normal School, reflecting its early mission as a teacher training institution. In the ensuing years its name has been changed to Northern Idaho College of Education (1947), Lewis-Clark Normal School (1956) and finally Lewis-Clark State College (1971). The state legislature and the Idaho State Board of Education authorized the latest name change in recognition of the college’s expanded role as an undergraduate institution, including programs in liberal arts, professional studies and technology.
In addition to its on-campus educational opportunities, LC State offers instructional programs in Coeur d’Alene, at outreach centers located in Grangeville and Orofino, and online. A variety of alternative learning formats is available, making higher education accessible throughout northern Idaho and eastern Washington. LC State shares a place in the state’s higher education system with the University of Idaho (UI), Idaho State University (ISU), and Boise State University (BSU), which collaborate to offer an array of outstanding educational programs. The four institutions operate under a governing board appointed by Idaho’s governor.
LC State is a regional state college, encompassing traditional academic programs, career & technical education, and community college and community service programs. The college’s undergraduate instructional programs offer a wide range of academic and professional programs leading to baccalaureate and associate degrees. The college also offers a number of programs leading to certificates. In accordance with its mission statement approved by the Idaho State Board of Education and Idaho Code, LC State's programs prepare students to become successful leaders, engaged citizens, and lifelong learners. The college's core themes are: Opportunity, Success, and Partnerships.
Other emphasis areas are the provision of select programs offered on and off campus, at non-traditional times, using non-traditional means of delivery, to serve a diverse student body. The institution also conducts selected research studies and provides a variety of life-long learning opportunities through its continuing education programs. LC State works in collaboration with other state and regional post-secondary institutions to serve its diverse constituencies: students, business and industry, the professions, public sector groups, and special constituencies within the region and throughout the state.
Evolution of Name
1893 - Lewiston State Normal School (LSNS)
1947 - Northern Idaho College of Education (NICE)
1955 - Lewis-Clark Normal School (LCNS)
1971 - Lewis-Clark State College (LC State)