At Lewis-Clark State College (LCSC), our goal is not only to prepare excellent new teachers, but also to support in-service teachers in maintaining or upgrading their certification.
Our Teacher In-Service courses for K-12 teachers are managed by the Teacher Education Division at LCSC in collaboration with local school districts. Offering a course requires submission of a New Course Information form and course syllabus (sample syllabus). For more information, please visit our Create a New Class page or contact the Teacher Education Division Office at (208) 792-2260.
Teacher In-Service courses offered by LCSC comply with guidelines set forth by Idaho’s State Board of Education and the policies of Lewis-Clark State College. These include:
- Students participating in a Teacher In-Service course must be a certificated staff member at an elementary or secondary school (i.e., pupil services, instructional or administrative).
- The credit awarded is for professional development and cannot be applied to a degree program.
- The course must be approved by the appropriate academic unit(s) at the institution prior to being announced/offered.
- Enrollment in courses offered by a specific school district are typically limited to employees of that district. Exceptions to this must be authorized by the school district offering the course.
- A minimum of 15 contact hours of instruction are required for 1 credit hour. (This does not include time spent outside of official class time.)
Teachers wishing to take a Teacher In-Service course offered by their district should follow the steps identified in the Participant Checklist. The fee for a Teacher In-Service course is $50 per credit hour. In some situations (e.g., requiring special course materials or field trip expenses), the total cost of a course may be higher. Details about additional course fees are available at the time of course registration. If the course has an online component, the current LCSC online fee will be added to the normal course fee.
To use in-service credit hours you have earned for recertification, you will need an official transcript. To obtain a transcript, please place your order online.