Certification as a Nurse Aide
A State Nurse Aide Certification card or LC State substitution (validation obtained through completing a skills only training course or passing a skills challenge exam) is required for entry into the BSN Basic Track. NA certifications from other states meet criteria.
Options to Fulfill BSN Entry Requirement
View upcoming CNA courses offered from Workforce Training
At the time of nursing school application (via NursingCAS.org), you must submit a copy of your state CNA registry card (any state) or give the date you will be completing your CNA testing.
- Completion of training + testing is due by July 17th (for fall semester start) or December 17th (for spring semester start.)
- Certification must be valid and in good standing until the first day of the nursing program.
- Students who have an expired CNA certification or who wish to petition for certification must contact the state certification board.
Students holding a certification in some health-related fields may qualify for LC State substitution validation of skills through a challenge exam. Advisors at Workforce Training can provide full details and assess your eligibility. Email [email protected] or call 208-792-2388 for details.
This is exam is for those who feel they can challenge and pass a CNA skill test and are a certified provider in another medical field (i.e. Medical Assistant, EMT, Paramedic, Respiratory Therapist, Military Medic or Corpsman).
LC State substitution validation is accepted for up to 24 months from the date of issuance.
We allow two attempts to pass and the cost is approx. $95. Please contact Workforce Training for details and scheduling.
Neither the Challenge nor the Skills Only Training class qualifies the student for the CNA state registry or eligibility to be titled or work as a certified nursing assistant.
This option is for those who do not meet Challenge requirements and are not certified as a Nursing Aide/Assistant. Upcoming classes can be found on the Workforce Training website. Cost and offerings for this course vary and you must call Workforce Training to register: 208-792-2388.
- In-Person course, located in Lewiston, Idaho
- 36 hours of skill training to meet basic entry-level nursing skills
- Skills test based on a standardized list
- Two attempts allowed to pass the test
- LC State substitution validation is accepted for up to 24 months from the date of issuance
Neither the Challenge nor the Skills Only Training class qualify the student for the CNA state registry or eligibility to be titled or work as a certified nursing assistant.